Troubleshoot Firefox 56.0.2 replacement?

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I am presently using 56.0.2 older version of firefox ,I know it is outdated but I still can use some of my legacy addd-ons.I tried new version of Firefox and really disappointed with no addons working from previous version.I am also getting high ram usage (600-1200 megs) from 56 version and high disk usage.
I am now looking for a better browser that can do what firefox is doing with addons now but with much less in ram usage ? Also maybe a portable version.Thks

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Waterfox is a suitable replacement.

Have you tried refreshing the Firefox? And if issue disappears after that then it means a particular add-on or combination of them is causing the issue. My personal experience says higher the no. of add-ons lower the performance of a browser, especially the old add-on system of Firefox.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by high disk usage? I am curious cause I never had that issue with any of browser that I have tried.
You could also try reducing the content processes to 1, it will reduce the performance no doubt but Ram usage should be dropped considerably.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I am using Portable version of ESR 56.x and 58.x together. Bookmarks were transferred, but since I was wondering about the compatibility of profiles, 58 started over setting from the beginning.
Also, in the case of the Portable version, when automatic update is applied, it seems that settings are added in the AppData of the user folder, and that setting takes precedence.

Upvote 0

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I love Palemoon too. And i think it's a great replacement if you're interested in speed, and on the other side, not too much focused on customizations etc. The only big drawback is that the amount of add-ons is very limited. If you use programs such as Adguard Prenium, then it should not be a big problem.

Upvote 0

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
U can try out Vivaldi. Much options there for ur personal use. I tryed it today on a old laptop. Got much improved when it comes to speed etc. The first version was way more slower. But it seems it is a reliable browser now and a realy good alternative for the big ones.

Reactions: blueblackwow65
Upvote 0

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
The ONLY way to retain the old extensions and stay with FF is to use the ESR version. Unfortunately support for it will end - don't remember when.

So IF you stay with the last version (when FF support stops), you have FF and the extensions, but risk security.

Keep in mind though that over time the writers of the "older" extensions will either stop support and/or move on to the "new" extensions.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.