Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Version 60.0, first offered to Release channel users on May 9, 2018

Firefox 60 offers something for everyone and a little something extra for everyone who deploys Firefox in an enterprise environment. This release includes changes that give you more content and more ways to customize your New Tab/Firefox Home. It also introduces support for the Web Authentication API, which means you can log in to websites in Firefox with USB tokens like YubiKey.
Firefox 60 also brings a new policy engine and Group Policy support for enterprise deployments. For more info about why and how to use Firefox in the enterprise, see this blog post.
Thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox!

New:
  • Added a policy engine that allows customized Firefox deployments in enterprise environments, using Windows Group Policy or a cross-platform JSON file
  • Enhancements to New Tab / Firefox Home
    • Responsive layout that shows more content for users with wide-screen displays
    • Highlights section includes web sites saved to Pocket
    • More options to reorder sections and content on the page
    • Pocket Sponsored Stories will appear for a percentage of users in the US. Read about our privacy-conscious approach to sponsored content
  • Redesigned Cookies and Site Storage section in Preferences for greater clarity and control of first- and third-party cookies
  • Applied Quantum CSS to render browser UI
  • Added support for Web Authentication API, which allows USB tokens for website authentication
  • Enhanced camera privacy indicators: Firefox now turns off your camera and the camera's light when you disable video recording, and turns the camera and light on when you resume recording
  • Added an option for Linux users to show or hide page titles in a bar at the top of the browser. You’ll find the Title Bar option in the Customize panel available from the main browser menu.
  • Improved WebRTC audio performance and playback for Linux users
  • Locale added: Occitan (oc)

Fixed:

Changed:
  • Changed the Windows shortcut for entering Reader View to F9, for better compatibility with keyboard layouts that use AltGr
  • Bookmarks no longer support multiple keywords for the same URL unless the request has different POST data
  • TLS certificates issued by Symantec before June 1st, 2016 are no longer trusted by Firefox
  • Updated the Skia graphics library to milestone 66

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox in your language

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are still 2 things which I don't like in FF Quantum as compared to Chrome browser

1) You need to touch a link/icon more accurately in FF to open it
2) After pinching and/or zooming it's difficult to come back to 100% even though it comes with a percentage counter on the address bar. Chrome defaults to 100% after zooming and pinch back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra and XhenEd

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I don't find the FF Quantum v60 for android with the new CSS engine as fast as its previous v59 too. However, there are few steps that can help to speed it up

Read here

Tutorial - Speeding up Firefox Quantum (Tips)
Scrolling is just horrible in the v60, it's like driving a horse cart after Ferrari (Yandex Browser). I even tried out a tweak in the about:config which changed the acceleration values for the browser (suggested by some guys on reddit), didn't work.
The link doesn't help with scrolling, but thanks for trying.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
my firefox quantom randomly causes my disk, memory and cpu to go to 100%. i switched to opera. it has a vpn.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Firefox: with uBO only = ~ 560 RAM;
w/ uBO, MWB beta, Privacy Possum, HTTPS Everywhere, FF multi-containers, & Decentraleyes = ~ 650RAM

Edge with Nano Adblocker = ~ 265 RAM
with uBO = about the same

Last edited:

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Firefox: with uBO only = ~ 560 RAM;
w/ uBO, MWB beta, Privacy Possum, HTTPS Everywhere, FF multi-containers, & Decentraleyes = ~ 650RAM

Edge with Nano Adblocker = ~ 265 RAM
with uBO = about the same
which version do you have?

Reactions: oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Scrolling is just horrible in the v60, it's like driving a horse cart after Ferrari (Yandex Browser). I even tried out a tweak in the about:config which changed the acceleration values for the browser (suggested by some guys on reddit), didn't work.

Scrolling and font rendering have always been horrid with Firefox.

Also, some key extensions NEVER work right with Firefox like Magic Actions for Youtube.

If all three of these get fixed I could potentially use it. Until then, no.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Here are a few problems with FF Quantum

1) Slow search speed - Can overcome using searchx.mobi search engine
2) Slow website opening speed - Minimise number of extensions, avoid duplicate protections and remove surf/web/tracking protection in FF and your AV.
3) Use a fast DNS service (like CloudFlare) and avoid those secure ones. Note that certain WiFi hotspots do not allow the user to change DNS addresses
4) Slow scrolling speed and non-smooth scrolling - Use 'Yet Another Smooth Scrolling WE' extension. You can also adjust some settings in FF Quantum. Watch video here

5) Slow typing speed - Still testing with aforementioned extension
6) If using a VPN choose the right country to minimise speed impact
7) Location must have strong WiFi/LTE signal
8) Clear browsing data and history regularly. FF has a problem of fast surfing initially but will slow down eventually
9) I experience 2) & 5) in MT forum particularly. So far no issue with other forums like Wilders, hardwarezone.com.sg etc

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Cool.. So I need a dozen tweaks to make Firefox somewhat usable and Chrome needs zero?

Maybe someone should tell the people at Mozilla about all of this so they can fix it once and for all? They've had years to do it, and improvements have never happened in these areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.