Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Firefox native default, built-in System Add-ons

System Add-ons Overview: System Add-ons Overview — Mozilla Source Tree Docs 59.0a1 documentation
"System add-ons are browser add-ons that ship with core Firefox. Basically, add-ons that are not installed by the user but by Mozilla." - gHacks.com
The purpose of the Web Compat system add-on for Firefox: on ghacks.net: The purpose of the Web Compat system add-on for Firefox - gHacks Tech News

Please Mozilla, give me control over System Add-ons: on ghacks.net: Please Mozilla, give me control over System Add-ons - gHacks Tech News
Ah oh: Firefox: How to remove all System Add-ons?: on techdows.com: Firefox: How to remove all System Add-ons? | Techdows

In my CCleaner (v4.17.4808) Tools/Startup/... I'm able to see Firefox system add-ons (native to browser), and too rogue extensions/add-ons in browsers.
You have the possibility to Enable, Disable, Delete them. But don't make disable the Firefox system addons... - Pocket maybe?.. what do you think?

Pocket "are ad revenue for Mozilla"...
firefox@getpocket.com.xpi - "Pocket for me it's useless and a security hole" - read on forums.mozillazine.org: Rise of the System Add-ons • mozillaZine Forums - and read on this link too:
"there are 2 ways to disable them
#1 safe way is with about:config in the filter box type the addon name (pocket) and set the boolean to disabled for example
extensions.pocket.enabled; false
if you'd like to try the screenshot addon just set
extensions.screenshots.system-disabled; false
extensions.screenshots.disabled; false
#2 unsafe is to remove those xpi files ?"
-- so I've Disabled Pocket with CCleaner, no problem, easy!

{ - see installed by you (NOT system) add-ons (too...) in: about:support or about:debugging ...}

I have these system add-ons in my Firefox ESR 52.5.3:
Multi-process staged rollout
Application Update Service Helper
Pocket (Disabled by me:))
Web Compat

To get control about your System Add-ons (and installed by you too) you can use
:
For Firefox: Simple Add-on Manager: Simple Add-on Manager – Add-ons for Firefox

For Chrome, you have this best extension: SimpleExtManager: SimpleExtManager - Version: 1.4.7 Updated: November 3, 2017 Size: 89.29KiB

Last edited by a moderator:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Here you have the screenshot with "system add-ons" from techdows.com link from above:
features-folder.png

I'd like to remove all my system add-ons...all ".xpi" XPI files (these Firefox browser features only, not my add-ons I've downloaded!) - what you think

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I don't see that removing those .xpi files will be a major problem if you don't want to use the functions they are associated with. Browsers like Cyberfox and Waterfox don't have them listed in their 'Features' folders. How about saving your current setup, even if that means creating a system restore point, remove the .xpi files and seeing how Firefox behaves?

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I hold in Firefox my other "system add-ons" - I disabled Pocket only, it's wise like that.
Decided after reading some articles...:cool:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Shout-out to gHacks for providing all the answers.

I have these system add-ons in my Firefox ESR 52.5.3:
Multi-process staged rollout
Application Update Service Helper
Pocket (Disabled by me:))
Web Compat
Multi-process staged rollout - still in progress for better security and stability
Multi-Process Firefox: everything you need to know - gHacks Tech News

App. Update Service Helper - "enables Mozilla to push updates to the browser without having to ship a new version of Firefox"
Application Update Service Helper new Firefox system add-on - gHacks Tech News

Pocket is owned by Mozilla - benefits to Pocket users, but not required at all
Mozilla Acquires Pocket – The Mozilla Blog

Web Compat (About | webcompat.com) - reporting bugs, issue fixes
The purpose of the Web Compat system add-on for Firefox - gHacks Tech News

As explained above, System Add-ons allow Mozilla to push updates without releasing a new version. This should be especially useful for yourself who is running an ESR build.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
But Spawn, read my latest post #4 above yours, please...all is ok here, you see

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.