Firefox Process Slow Shutdown Issure

Status
Not open for further replies.

LochNess

Thread author
Apr 2, 2011
Just wondering... maybe it's just me but I've had a problem with the Firefox Process shutdown... I'm using 6.1 at this time but have generally noticed it in the past also... sometimes I will have to manually end the process and/or processes through the task manager... It's not a 'really big deal' for me but is the 'process shutdown' speed just the nature of the browser ?

I'm also using Adblock Plus and Better Privacy as Add-ons... nothing else... I suppose that makes some difference...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I had the same problem, I found out that Java 7 was causing it.
I uninstalled Java 7 and installed Java 6 Update 27 and it solved my issues.

Other things that can cause this is the option to "Clear History when Firefox closes" try unselecting it.

Auto memory cleaners can cause Firefox to hang when closed, it is best to exclude Firefox from memory cleaning or just use manual memory cleaners.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Auto memory cleaners can cause Firefox to hang when closed, it is best to exclude Firefox from memory cleaning or just use manual memory cleaners.

Or avoid memory cleaners altogether because they don't do anything worthwhile? ;)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
LochNess said:
Just wondering... maybe it's just me but I've had a problem with the Firefox Process shutdown... I'm using 6.1 at this time but have generally noticed it in the past also... sometimes I will have to manually end the process and/or processes through the task manager...
I ll give you a solution that worked for me, every time. Whenever you close your
browser, instead of closing it by clicking the "X", exit the browser by going to
File>Exit.

Another solution? start using Sandboxie. This issue has never happened to me
when running sandboxed. Even now, the rare times that I open FF out of the
sandbox, I close the browser as I explained and the issue don't occur.

It works. I have not experienced this issue, the past 3 years.

Bo

LochNess

Thread author
Apr 2, 2011
"I ll give you a solution that worked for me, every time. Whenever you close your
browser, instead of closing it by clicking the "X", exit the browser by going to File > Exit"

Excellent Suggestion... Much smoother shutdown... worked nicely.... :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
LochNess said:
"I ll give you a solution that worked for me, every time. Whenever you close your
browser, instead of closing it by clicking the "X", exit the browser by going to File > Exit"

Excellent Suggestion... Much smoother shutdown... worked nicely.... :)
Happy to read your reply. Don't feel alone, that's an old unresolved FF issue
that most FF users experience sometimes. The good thing is, now you know
the secret fix, so it wont happen again.:D

Remember, if you start using SBIE, you can just forget about the issue as you
wont need to think about whether to click on X or exit. It wont matter what
you click or how you close FF. Sandboxie does it for you.:cool:

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

my tweaking apps has an option to force the shutdown of all opened or hidden processes during Win7 shutdown.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even in Linux I'm using 6.0.1 when I close and open again sometimes it popup said "Firefox is not responding" so I need to kill the process but its not a big deal for me.

Seems I might try it when closing, instead of clicking from X button alternative is on the menu bar.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i never get any problems with firefox. i'm happy now. before, i always getting not responding or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.