Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

madman777

Level 1
Jan 13, 2019
i hope they fix Too much Ram Used... by just opening it check how much Ram it uses and then when you have so many tabs open its a headache... firefox 56 was ok in RAM usage ..

Reactions: oldschool

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
i hope they fix Too much Ram Used... by just opening it check how much Ram it uses and then when you have so many tabs open its a headache... firefox 56 was ok in RAM usage ..
I compared FF Quantum against Chrome browser by opening the same 5x sites. I even put FF into RAM

FF uses 658 MB of RAM
Chrome uses 981 MB of RAM

My 2x tablets only have 8GB RAM each. If I'm not wrong your laptop (or PC) has 16GB RAM. What is your issue here?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Only ram issue was autoplaying gifs/ videos/webms when reading reddit, when you scroll down all videos kept playing on firefox but not on chrome

But the autoplay issues can be easily fixed.

But in reality comparing should be done without extensions
With firefox i always end up storing more extensions than in chrome, because theyre available in ff and not in chrome > comparing after> different results

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Only ram issue was autoplaying gifs/ videos/webms when reading reddit, when you scroll down all videos kept playing on firefox but not on chrome

But the autoplay issues can be easily fixed.

But in reality comparing should be done without extensions
With firefox i always end up storing more extensions than in chrome, because theyre available in ff and not in chrome > comparing after> different results
Not sure what you are saying for your first sentence. Can show a link for me to test?

Reactions: oldschool

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Not sure what you are saying for your first sentence. Can show a link for me to test?
.gifs - funny, animated gifs for your viewing pleasure

Chrome only autoplays one youre watching, and you can scroll down without the previous gifs are left open. With firefox they all loaded and as i kept browsing down the memory usage increased all the time

I even disabled autoplay on firefox, but only way i solved the problem was using old reddit instead of the new one. Not sure if they have updated autoplay policies somehow in current ff..im gonna update my nightly and see does this problem still exist

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
.gifs - funny, animated gifs for your viewing pleasure

Chrome only autoplays one youre watching, and you can scroll down without the previous gifs are left open. With firefox they all loaded and as i kept browsing down the memory usage increased all the time

I even disabled autoplay on firefox, but only way i solved the problem was using old reddit instead of the new one. Not sure if they have updated autoplay policies somehow in current ff..im gonna update my nightly and see does this problem still exist
Ok, I see what you mean after going to the site.

When I opened the site I got about 884MB memory (at the top of the page). As I scroll downwards the RAM increases because the videos were playing. However, if I stop scrolling at a spot with the video playing the memory drops back to more or less the same amount as initial.

As for Chrome the videos does play when I scroll downwards. But Chrome uses very much less memory like 360MB RAM

Likey there's something in your extensions that is preventing the videos from autoplaying

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Ok, I see what you mean after going to the site.

When I opened the site I got about 884MB memory (at the top of the page). As I scroll downwards the RAM increases because the videos were playing. However, if I stop scrolling at a spot with the video playing the memory drops back to more or less the same amount as initial.

As for Chrome the videos does play when I scroll downwards. But Chomre uses very much less memory like 360MB RAM

Likey there's something in your extensions that is preventing the videos from autoplaying
Well i tried it once again and now its working like chrome does, i dont have stable ff installed im always been using nightly and sometimes it just works and sometimes not...il just swap to chrome if i run to any playing issues with nightly

Reactions: stefanos

gonzalo

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2014
I'm not a browser expert, but why firefox feels heavier than chrome since forever? i don't know, maybe the engine, or whatever they put on it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.