Advice Request Firefox Tracking Protection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutOfBounds

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 22, 2016
Hi just looking at the options in my firefox browser and I was thinking should I change the default option to "Always"

Attachments

• 2018-03-21_14-06-21.jpg
    2018-03-21_14-06-21.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 407
D

Deleted member 65228

It won't actually prevent a website from tracking you, there's many ways you can be tracked... IP address, browser agent, cookies, embedded extensions linked to signed in services like Google and Facebook, your writing style and behavior on the website (there's analytic extensions to record the website as you use it and even record entered information even if you do not hit enter and submit the data in the end), even your browser window size. Does the service use anything like WebRTC which can cause a leak?

All the feature will do is indicate to the website that you would prefer to not be tracked, but whether the website respects this or not is another matter. It shouldn't cause any issues, I've never witnessed it cause a problem personally.

You may as well set it to "Always", I would personally.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The DNT (Do Not Track signal) browser option was implemented since forever ago, but it doesn't mean the website have to comply.

You can however use Firefox's own Anti-Tracking list by enabling it to Always which covers both private and normal windows. I believe the default settings are set to Only in private windows. For extensive Tracking protection you may need to use a dedicated Extension or, desktop / router based Blocking.

What version of Firefox are you running?
upload_2018-3-21_18-57-6.png
Image: Firefox 59

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.