Advice Request Firefox vs Opera Vs Yandex

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Step 1

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Hi

I'm reading recently that Firefox is not the secure browser I thought it was.

I work on 4 devices (Linux, Windows 10 and Android), so I need them to synchronize all data, (sorry Brave), especially passwords.

I don't want to install Chrome, I just find myself more comfortable with the three above mentioned.
So, what's your opinion?

Thanks in advance

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Germany declares Firefox the most secure browser

Read here

And you can harden FF's privacy, security and improve its speed performance by following the below guide especially in the use of the user.js file

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Firefox updates less frequently than chrome
Actually both receive updates at exact same rate. The both follow a 6 weeks release cycle so a version bump every 6 weeks. But from next year, Firefox is changing it to a 4 weeks release cycle but this has been criticized by most of the Firefox community including myself. Shorter release cycle means less testing and more in a hurry to release new features which could be a bad thing but Mozilla said they're confident about not messing up and if things don't work out they will get back to the current ways.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Actually both receive updates at exact same rate. The both follow a 6 weeks release cycle so a version bump every 6 weeks. But from next year, Firefox is changing it to a 4 weeks release cycle but this has been criticized by most of the Firefox community including myself. Shorter release cycle means less testing and more in a hurry to release new features which could be a bad thing but Mozilla said they're confident about not messing up and if things don't work out they will get to the current ways.
Ah, my info was out of date. Thanks!

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Even if I'm too biased on my beloved Opera, and of course cast my vote on it dosen't mean I still can like and acknowledge other browsers.

Firefox ( FF ) for example I used for so many years, I can't remember how long it is. Then again I can't recall what I had for supper yesterday. :p Anyway, I use FF mainly for browser/site compatibility tests. It does exist sites that does that and much better but, it's still faster to simply boot up FF and paste the url/s and see how it renders.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I did use Opera before but I don´t like it very much + owned by Chinese (think what you want)
Sad that it happened, but the amount the previous owners got was a pretty obvious reason why, China or not. That the present developers actually still is located in Europe is for me personal one of the main reasons why I'm still using it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Step 1 and Venustus

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Regional split of privacy policies

Opera is growing into a global business with hundreds of millions of users spread across all continents. To provide the best service to our vast user base, we have extended our presence in several locations and, to assist us in our efforts to streamline business processes, we will now offer our products to users from more than one company. Our users from within the European Economic Area (EEA) will continue to be served by a Norwegian data controller. Users located in other areas of the globe (non-EEA) will, after this change in regional privacy policies, be served by our company in Singapore. We chose Singapore as this is where we have the largest data centers already storing data. As previously stated, we will continue to develop the same products and follow the same security and privacy guidelines as before.

Opera seems to be a good choice for EU users, but I give it a try some days ago , now back to Firefox :)

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Regional split of privacy policies

Opera is growing into a global business with hundreds of millions of users spread across all continents. To provide the best service to our vast user base, we have extended our presence in several locations and, to assist us in our efforts to streamline business processes, we will now offer our products to users from more than one company. Our users from within the European Economic Area (EEA) will continue to be served by a Norwegian data controller. Users located in other areas of the globe (non-EEA) will, after this change in regional privacy policies, be served by our company in Singapore. We chose Singapore as this is where we have the largest data centers already storing data. As previously stated, we will continue to develop the same products and follow the same security and privacy guidelines as before.

Opera seems to be a good choice for EU users, but I give it a try some days ago , now back to Firefox :)
Facebook have an Irish data controller for users in the EEA, it's still the company you need to trust.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
For reasons unclear Firefox is somewhat clunky / laggy on this PC, unlike Chromium based browsers, whether that's to do with AdGuard I have not yet properly investigated. I actually like Opera & though in the past it was very different & started out as Ad Based& you could pay to have he Ad banner removed. On this PC I have a largish display & the brilliant white option is far to white & I don't like the dark, too dark for me. I really like the classic themes from Chrome Web Store, pity Opera don't give you an in between theme? Although I voted for Firefox the amount of data collection in privacy by default including surveys etc. for me is a bit much. I'll give Firefox another try,

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.