Firewall compatible with Windows XP (2015)

benice

Thread author
Nov 19, 2015
As a WIN XP PRO (sp3, 64 bit) user along with its firewall, I wonder if I really have to switch to another firewall since WIN XP is not longer supported by Microsoft.

If so, I would like to get some experienced suggestions to a free light weight firewall, with a light system resources use , consistently as well as currently updated, or any idea for reliable free firewall test.

Panda free AV is in use.

Thanks in advance for any reply,

T

TheSuperGeek

I think it's not secure to use Windows XP firewall because it don't have any updates to repair all security problems.
I recomand to use an another firewall.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Windows XP Firewall is pretty much the same as Vista/7/8/8.1/10 so to speak.
As long as you are careful, you will be fine, granted you are aware of the down side of not receiving official updates anymore for your OS.

Reactions: Sr. Normal
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Comodo firewall, but I'd just like to say, Panda AV defections are not the best, as you said XP is no longer supported, you may need something more powerful but still light on the system, I recommend Comodo firewall, avast free av and use malwarebytes anti malware for a second opinion scanner

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well you may still revive Windows XP Firewall by using enhancement tool like Tinywall or Windows Firewall Notifier, but concept may change from Vista to 10 whereas you can tweak more to improve the network security.

3rd Party Firewall is an acceptable move, just be sure to understand from its tweak.

Zone Alarm Firewall may considered as an easy to understand concept meanwhile Comodo Firewall is a complex and comprehensive program. ;)

Reactions: scot and Sr. Normal

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
There is no SP3 for Windows XP 64bit (unless there is some kind of unofficial patch). Some software won't work on Windows XP 64bit because of that limitation so maybe some firewalls won't work that would normally work with SP3 32bit? I know a lot of software requires SP3 to work but some requires SP2 or higher (SP2 is the latest service pack available on XP 64bit).

Just something to think about.

benice

Thread author
Nov 19, 2015
I think it's not secure to use Windows XP firewall because it don't have any updates to repair all security problems.
I recomand to use an another firewall.

Thank you for your reply.
As you manage your own site, can you suggest a reliable Pc security test,
firewall mainly?
Thanks again.

x64 sp3 ??

I really beg your pardon.
It's 32 bit system.
Deeply sorry for my mistake.

There is no SP3 for Windows XP 64bit (unless there is some kind of unofficial patch). Some software won't work on Windows XP 64bit because of that limitation so maybe some firewalls won't work that would normally work with SP3 32bit? I know a lot of software requires SP3 to work but some requires SP2 or higher (SP2 is the latest service pack available on XP 64bit).

Just something to think about.

I really beg your pardon for my mistake.
It's official Win XP Sp3 but 32 bit not 64.
Thank you for you reply.

Comodo free FW...

I've heard allot about that firewall, but I wonder if COMODO consider to be a light weight software with a light system resources use?
Thanks alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheSuperGeek

Thank you for your reply.
As you manage your own site, can you suggest a reliable Pc security test,
firewall mainly?
Thanks again.
i recommand 2 type of firewall depend on your knowledge :
- Comodo Free firewall (not easy but the best)
- Zonealarm free firewall (simple and secured)
/!\ Comodo Firewall is realy hard to configure if you don't know what to do use Zonealarm !

benice

Thread author
Nov 19, 2015
Windows XP Firewall is pretty much the same as Vista/7/8/8.1/10 so to speak.
As long as you are careful, you will be fine, granted you are aware of the down side of not receiving official updates anymore for your OS.

Thank you Inkurax.
I feel more safer after reading your reply as I'm far of being pc's security expert.
I like Xp like other 1.4 billion users do, and I'm aware that XP is no longer supported.
Eventually, I won't have any alternatives but to upgrade to a newer OS.
Meanwhile I hope to be careful as you advise.
All the best

Comodo firewall, but I'd just like to say, Panda AV defections are not the best, as you said XP is no longer supported, you may need something more powerful but still light on the system, I recommend Comodo firewall, avast free av and use malwarebytes anti malware for a second opinion scanner

Thanks for your reply.
As far as I checked before installing Panda, this software got a high score in Av-test laboratory, on XP.
I'm already regularly use Mbam.
Many other suggested COMODO firewall but I don't quit sure if it suits my technical background.
Thanks and Best regards.

This link, from Dave's Computer Tips, might be useful: Administrative Tools – Windows Firewall With Advanced Security

Thank you 59er,
Quit impressive article.
Promise to read it very carefully.
From a very brief sight, I think my XP firewall configuration is based on the main issues.
Thanks again for sending the link
All the best

Last edited by a moderator:

benice

Thread author
Nov 19, 2015
i recommand 2 type of firewall depend on your knowledge :
- Comodo Free firewall (not easy but the best)
- Zonealarm free firewall (simple and secured)
/!\ Comodo Firewall is realy hard to configure if you don't know what to do use Zonealarm !

Thanks again for all your replies.
Zonealarm seems to be more suitable to my humbled computer background .
And it's "Check- Point" product.
Wish you all the best.

L

LabZero

@benice

Windows XP is a no longer supported by Microsoft, and then it has many unresolved problems and security vulnerabilities that will never be closed.
As already suggested, you can create a thread here: Security Configuration Wizard

This will help our members to recommend to you other possible security solutions.

benice

Thread author
Nov 19, 2015
For Windows XP 3rd Party Firewall I love Privatefirewall, but the free lighter options are Tinywall or Windows Firewall Notifier like @jamescv7 says

Hi Sr. Normal
According to some reviews,Tiny wall and WFN are not compatible with Windows XP .
Privatefirewall - My favourite choice, but last update was on August 2014.
Does it's configurations suit average user?
Thank you for sharing your experience with me.
Best regards

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.