Firewall settings unsafe?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
Hi,
Windows is saying that "Windows Firewall is using settings that may make your device unsafe" I click the Restore Settings button but nothing happens.. the warning appears again.

Please help
Thanks.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Is this what you see @viel?
Screenshot (8).png Screenshot (7).png
I have Emsisoft IS installed (obviously having its own FW) and the above is what it shows for me too!
If you already have a 3rd party Firewall active, you need not worry about the warning. If not, try @TairikuOkami's suggestion.
PS: Clicking on "Restore settings" works for me but that may be AV specific and it might not work for some others (some Internet Security suites allow WinFW to be turned on, some don't, some control WinFW).

V

viel

Thread author
Is this what you see @viel?
View attachment 163243 View attachment 163244
I have Emsisoft IS installed (obviously having its own FW) and the above is what it shows for me too!
If you already have a 3rd party Firewall active, you need not worry about the warning. If not, try @TairikuOkami's suggestion.
PS: Clicking on "Restore settings" works for me but that may be AV specific and it might not work for some others (some Internet Security suites allow WinFW to be turned on, some don't, some control WinFW).
First picture in Firewall and Network Protection, yes that is what I see. Second picture, nope!
I just wiped my PC clean and reset.. still appears :/

V

viel

Thread author
First picture in Firewall and Network Protection, yes that is what I see. Second picture, nope!
THIS IS WEIRD!

If I manually search Firewall and Network protection and check my settings it says it is unsafe BUT if I go on Windows Defender Security Center and check it says everything is fine..

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
You didn't mention if you have a 3rd party FW or an Internet security suite with one (maybe you installed it after reset too, that's not clear by reading).

THIS IS WEIRD!
If I manually search Firewall and Network protection and check my settings it says it is unsafe BUT if I go on Windows Defender Security Center and check it says everything is fine..
Can you share both screens and what settings WinFW is at currently?

V

viel

Thread author
You didn't mention if you have a 3rd party FW or an Internet security suite with one (maybe you installed it after reset too, that's not clear by reading).

Can you share both screens and what settings WinFW is at currently?
Fixed it.

Reactions: Parsh
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.