Advice Request Firewall similar to Kaspersky

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

FoxtrotCZ

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 14, 2018
Hello,
I am looking antivirus or separate firewall program, that has similar functionality to Kaspersky in terms of application firewall.
System: Windows

What exactly do I mean (see image):

1.PNG

1) List of all applications connecting to network.
2) Can create groups of applications and apply rules to them.
3) Possible to block only internet while allowing LAN. Possible with Kaspersky by making two rules (1. block everything 2. allow single or multiple IPs).

Reasoning:
I want to block some programs from connecting to internet. But searching for all the exe files one by one is bothersome. Especially when some programs have multiple buried in folders. That's why I would like smart software that can just list all programs that connected to network. Then I can easily see them and block them without long search and be sure I didn't miss anything.
But even if I find them this way, it's impractical to create rules for each one. Especially if there is lot of them. It seems logical to just group them and apply one rule for them all. (exception when it's very simple to block, like in GlassWire)
I also need some of them to connect to other PC in LAN. So complete network block wont work. I need to be able to allow LAN or at least a few selected IPs for connection.

What I already tried:
Windows Firewall, ESET
- Can create detailed rules that block internet and allow LAN. But slowly one by one. No groups and need to manually find and select exe.
GlassWire - Lists all programs connecting to network and can block them in single click. So simple and fast it doesn't even need grouping. But cannot make exception for LAN. Was requested but not implemented.
Portmaster - Kinda convoluted interface. Can block internet and allow LAN but it's buried in settings. Once blocked it doesn't show on the outside in list of apps, so you forget what you blocked and what not. Dealbreaker is that it hijacks your DNS and this behavior cannot be disabled. Seems more like good analyzer of individual connections of applications. Not so good as firewall.
Bitdefender - Interface unusable for anything advanced.
SimpleWall - By itself very good program but designed for blocking everything by default and only allowing selected applications. I would rather opposite direction, allow by default and then block some.

One workaround I found was using GlassWire to block the majority I don't need accessing LAN and then manually apply rules in Windows Firewall for the ones I need ability to connect to LAN. I would still hope for solution within single application.

Why not just use Kaspersky?
Well, it's likely I will. But I would like to know if there are also other solutions or if Kaspersky is indeed the only one.

Thanks for suggestions.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Based on your requirements, Comodo Firewall seems like a good fit for your needs. It has a similar functionality to Kaspersky in terms of application firewall, and it allows you to create groups of applications and apply rules to them. It also has a list of all applications connecting to the network and supports blocking only internet while allowing LAN. Additionally, it has an easy-to-use interface and is available for free. Another option you may want to consider is ZoneAlarm Firewall. It also has similar features to Kaspersky and Comodo Firewall, including the ability to monitor connections and block specific applications from accessing the internet. It also allows you to create groups of applications and apply rules to them.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
I recommend sticking with Kaspersky’s integration, mate. A few reasons why:

1. You paid for the software for a reason. Use it to its full potential.
  2. AVs often don’t work well together, and often have difficulty integrating with 3rd party security software. I’m not saying it isn’t possible. I use F-Secure, Windows Firewall Control, and AdGuard as the main security apparatus for my workstation. All three programs work beautifully together. But that’s not a guarantee in the future, with updates and what-not, so I am taking a gamble here. And I’m OK with that. But if you just want a rock-solid system with little to no compatibility issues, stick to one service and utilize the full suite. The trick is to pick a good one. You already passed that part, so congrats.
  3. Kaspersky is one of those especially invasive AVs. It installs its own hypervisor and isn’t compatible with Windows’ default one. It regularly asks to remove other security programs (or did in the recent past), and so on. You picked a great product. Just don’t pair it up with anything in real-time. Big K already does a good job. Stick to solid second opinion scanners onky. If interested (or don’t know what I’m talking about), @ me here and I’ll list my favorites.

FoxtrotCZ

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 14, 2018
I recommend sticking with Kaspersky’s integration, mate. A few reasons why:

1. You paid for the software for a reason. Use it to its full potential.
  2. AVs often don’t work well together, and often have difficulty integrating with 3rd party security software. I’m not saying it isn’t possible. I use F-Secure, Windows Firewall Control, and AdGuard as the main security apparatus for my workstation. All three programs work beautifully together. But that’s not a guarantee in the future, with updates and what-not, so I am taking a gamble here. And I’m OK with that. But if you just want a rock-solid system with little to no compatibility issues, stick to one service and utilize the full suite. The trick is to pick a good one. You already passed that part, so congrats.
  3. Kaspersky is one of those especially invasive AVs. It installs its own hypervisor and isn’t compatible with Windows’ default one. It regularly asks to remove other security programs (or did in the recent past), and so on. You picked a great product. Just don’t pair it up with anything in real-time. Big K already does a good job. Stick to solid second opinion scanners onky. If interested (or don’t know what I’m talking about), @ me here and I’ll list my favorites.
Ohh, that's misunderstanding. I didn't pay for Kaspersky yet.
Currently I am using ESET + GlassWire (with Windows Firewall workaround for LAN access)
I was using Kapersky in the past, but switched because of the war.

Right now I am just trying Kaspersky and other solutions to see what would work best for my described problem.
Kaspersky seems best, but like I said I would like to ask if someone knows alternative solution.
I am willing to switch back to Kaspersky, but still reluctant.
And even if I switch back, nobody knows the future, so I want to know alternative solutions in case I don't want to use Kaspersky.
Thanks.

PS: Looks like this thread was moved from General Discussion to Kaspersky category? I am not sure that's right. I am asking specifically about solutions other than Kaspersky. I cant even contact admin, it thinks I am spam :D

Last edited:

FoxtrotCZ

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 14, 2018
More tests:
Avast
- Lists apps connecting to internet. Can easily block by one click. For selective IP blocking/allowing can use multiple rules per app. Cannot make groups so selective IP blocking is slow.
F-Secure - Uses Windows Firewall
GData - One rule can apply to multiple apps but need to manually find and select exe. Not user friendly.
Norton - Basically same as Avast. Just uglier interface.
Bitdefender - I tested again. It lists apps and can block in one click. You can have multiple rules per app and selectively block IPs, but it's done in very user unfriendly way. You have to find exe in directory explorer every time you need new rule. No groups.
Emsisoft - Uses Windows firewall
Windows Firewall Control - Same as Windows Firewall
Comodo - Don't have list of apps connecting to internet. Can create groups, but you have to manually find executables. Can also add folders, so it's easier if you know your exes are in one folder. Can selectively block IPs.
ZoneAlarm - Lists all apps, not only ones connecting to internet so searching everything takes time. But can create zones of IPs and allow/block app access based on the zone.
NetLimiter - Lists apps connecting to internet. Can selectively block IPs. Cannot make groups. Similar to GlassWire.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Ohh, that's misunderstanding. I didn't pay for Kaspersky yet.
Currently I am using ESET + GlassWire (with Windows Firewall workaround for LAN access)
I was using Kapersky in the past, but switched because of the war.

Right now I am just trying Kaspersky and other solutions to see what would work best for my described problem.
Kaspersky seems best, but like I said I would like to ask if someone knows alternative solution.
I am willing to switch back to Kaspersky, but still reluctant.
And even if I switch back, nobody knows the future, so I want to know alternative solutions in case I don't want to use Kaspersky.
Thanks.

PS: Looks like this thread was moved from General Discussion to Kaspersky category? I am not sure that's right. I am asking specifically about solutions other than Kaspersky. I cant even contact admin, it thinks I am spam :D

Ah, I assumed you were using Kaspersky. My bad. But my recommendation would still be the same. If you need a Kaspersky-esque firewall… just use Big K itself. I do just fine with Windows Firewall Control but if you want something other than Windows Firewall, Kaspersky is a solid choice.

As for the moral stuff of using Kaspersky, I’ll keep quiet about it. Most don’t like what I have to say. Just evaluate if the product is right for you, and if your country is OK with you using it. You don’t want to accidentally get in trouble over something as minor as AV.

Reactions: Nevi

Nastrahl

Apr 14, 2023
You can set Simplewall to allow all outbound so it will work as intended.
Pretty sure you can also do it with Netlimiter.
Anyway the easiest way would be to set the firewall in learning mode then play with groups and rules.
A new version of Comodo should be out before this summer so maybe just wait a bit more.
You can try Fort Firewall but I don’t know if it fills up your needs.

There’s also a misconception that multiple firewalls can’t be installed altogether, which is wrong. They don’t work like an AV at all.

Reactions: Nevi

Dinux

Dec 25, 2020
More tests:
Avast
- Lists apps connecting to internet. Can easily block by one click. For selective IP blocking/allowing can use multiple rules per app. Cannot make groups so selective IP blocking is slow.
F-Secure - Uses Windows Firewall
GData - One rule can apply to multiple apps but need to manually find and select exe. Not user friendly.
Norton - Basically same as Avast. Just uglier interface.
Bitdefender - I tested again. It lists apps and can block in one click. You can have multiple rules per app and selectively block IPs, but it's done in very user unfriendly way. You have to find exe in directory explorer every time you need new rule. No groups.
Emsisoft - Uses Windows firewall
Windows Firewall Control - Same as Windows Firewall
Comodo - Don't have list of apps connecting to internet. Can create groups, but you have to manually find executables. Can also add folders, so it's easier if you know your exes are in one folder. Can selectively block IPs.
ZoneAlarm - Lists all apps, not only ones connecting to internet so searching everything takes time. But can create zones of IPs and allow/block app access based on the zone.
NetLimiter - Lists apps connecting to internet. Can selectively block IPs. Cannot make groups. Similar to GlassWire.

Within Windows Firewall Control, you could create custom group and add any exe file into the group.
In rules panel, you could just shown the exe files in the custom group by searching the group name (sort of filtering).
However, rules apply to each exe file only, not the group.

Reactions: Nevi and zkSnark

FoxtrotCZ

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 14, 2018
I looked at Sphinx Firewall, it can selectively block apps but cannot make groups, similar to NetLimiter.

Well, it just looks like no other software can do all the things Kaspersky firewall can which is shame.
There are basically these groups of software:
1) Windows firewall, ESET - You need to find each individual exe and make rules for it.
2) Glasswire - Lists all connecting apps, so you dont have to search for exes. But you have to block per app and cannot selectively block.
3) Avast, Norton - Also lists apps and can make more complex selective blocking rules per app.
4) Comodo - Only other that can make groups and apply rules to groups but have to find exes.

But only Kaspersky combines all the features into one good working package. It lists all apps connecting to the internet, no need for searching exes. It even automatically groups them per vendor or you can make your own groups. And you can apply complex rules to whole groups. For example allow all apps in group only LAN access.

It's unfortunate that no other competitor can provide firewall this capable.

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
You also can try Vipre, set it in learning mode for couple of days, adjust alls things to "prompt" and you're done.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.