Advice Request firewall software - windows firewall software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb7943

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 5, 2018
Hello,
Im using emsisoft and ESET smart security right now.
From ESET im just using the firewall control option.
Can you tell me any software (paid or free) which let me control my firewall like ESET does?

best regards

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Hi
you USE two security software (realtime protection?!)
U can use EAM+CF or EAM+WFC ;)

Reactions: ZeroDay

gb7943

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 5, 2018
Hi
you USE two security software (realtime protection?!)

Thanks for your answer.
Im using only ESETs firewall cause i like the design of it.
What you mean with "EAM+CF or EAM+WFC"?

Reactions: omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for your answer.
Im using only ESETs firewall cause i like the design of it.
What you mean with "EAM+CF or EAM+WFC"?
EAM=Emsisoft Anti Malware
CF=Comodo Fire Wall
WFC=Windows Fire Wall Control

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Why Emsisoft HAS to be mentioned? OP didn't ask about AV recommendation, from the title it is clear it says "FIREWALL", and stating that they use ESET.

I have no idea what's going on with people in here about Emsisoft!

----
To OP, if you mean you want ESET firewall to notify (or ask) for ever attempted connection you can set firewall to Interactive mode, read more here: Firewall | ESET Internet Security | ESET Online help

Reactions: omidomi
D

Deleted member 178

Why Emsisoft HAS to be mentioned? OP didn't ask about AV recommendation, from the title it is clear it says "FIREWALL", and stating that they use ESET.

because the OP uses Emsisoft and ESET and it is not recommended to use both at same time, so people show their preferences, which is normal and expected is such kind of thread.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello,
Can you tell me any software (paid or free) which let me control my firewall like ESET does?

best regards

Is that Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Paid) or Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free)?

What's the problem with ESET's firewall that you don't like about it?

Reactions: illumination

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014

----
To OP, if you mean you want ESET firewall to notify (or ask) for ever attempted connection you can set firewall to Interactive mode, read more here: Firewall | ESET Internet Security | ESET Online help
Hi
Why use Eset for its firewall when Better & free one is be!?
Why not use EAM when it has great BB and great signature !?
Eset BB is very weak ....

Reactions: frogboy

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Protection against alien forces trying to teleport your PC (/sarcasm): Comodo Firewall

Realistic, no hype protection: Windows Firewall

Protection against CIA: unplug (and that may not even work)

I

illumination

Hello,

best regards
As already stated, running both those products together is not recommended. Also asked, is why you are seeking another FW, are you unhappy with Eset, is there functionality it does not have you require, is the price an issue, have you succumbed to the countless threads stating Eset just will not protect you, by the many users that have no idea how to use it's advanced settings. Are you not willing to rely on the built in monitoring of outbound connections by EAM via Windows Firewall.

Simply put, more information is needed to give you sound advice.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
because the OP uses Emsisoft and ESET and it is not recommended to use both at same time, so people show their preferences, which is normal and expected is such kind of thread.
That's why I only quoted that part of omidomi''s post.
Yes running both is not recommended and that being said, but from what I understood that OP wants a software similar to ESET firewall, but with "Control" which I understood that OP wants to get notified or asked on each attempted in/out connection, that's why I linked to ESET help page.

Hi
Why use Eset for its firewall when Better & free one is be!?
Why not use EAM when it has great BB and great signature !?
Eset BB is very weak ....
I hope you're not saying that Windows firewall is better than what ESET's has to offer.
In Comodo's case I don't think it will be suitable for average users even to get the hang of its simplest settings, let alone the alerts.
Emsisoft does not that that *GREAT* BB, it mostly dependent on their Network or Cloud. And no it's BB is NOT bullet proof as MANY people think it is, and yet it is indeed not the feature that can separate Emsisoft from others like Kaspersky, GData, Bitdefender. Even Quick Heal has a very active BB.

Personally, I see nothing SO special about Emsisoft to get that MUCH credit, it is yet another product with Bitdefender engine, under a different name with a GUI, and with a very minor in-house engine. Where I can get that BD engine in other several products for free, with few additional free tools and that will provide a better protection that a paid product with BD signatures.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Windows Firewall is enough. All firewalls are supposed to do is let things in/out or not.
Your AV is responsible for checking your traffic, not your firewall. (y)

Reactions: oldschool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.