Firewall?

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
Im mainly a Linux user, but for things like Steam and Microsoft Office (no matter how much of a fanboy I am, Office 2010 is the best Office suite) I keep Windows around. Now one of the many many many things I hate about Windows (This one is not Window's fault though), is that new PC's come with a bunch of Crap thrown on by the OEM. Mcafee Security center is one of these pieces of crap. I want to install Avast! Free, but I want a firewall to go with it. This is for Windows 7 64bit.

Oh and Please, I do not want a HIPS with my firewall. I heard Zone alarm does not have a HIPS, but I used PCtools free firewall a few years ago and liked it quite much. Anyone else have some ideas?

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
The firewall in Windows 7 is actually really good, not as good as a Linux firewall though. As long as you are behind a hardware firewall you should be fine.

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
TKFlight said:
The firewall in Windows 7 is actually really good, not as good as a Linux firewall though. As long as you are behind a hardware firewall you should be fine.

I am behind a hardware firewall but I can be paranoid at times and would like the peace of mind.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
TKFlight said:
As long as you are behind a hardware firewall you should be fine.

A hardware firewall can't give you easy outgoing application protection like a software firewall can.

You could give Comodo's firewall a try. You can disable the HIPS if that's how you want to run it.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Windows firewall isn't to difficult to configure, unless you go into the advanced settings. Just go with Comodo and disable the HIPS like HeffeD said. Since CFW is a really strong firewall, probably one of the best or maybe the best software firewall available.

D

Deleted member 178

TKFlight said:
Windows firewall isn't to difficult to configure, unless you go into the advanced settings. Just go with Comodo and disable the HIPS like HeffeD said. Since CFW is a really strong firewall, probably one of the best or maybe the best software firewall available.

i fully agree with TKFlight, just disable permanently Defense+ (comodo's HIPS) in Defense+ Setting or if you want use W7 firewall , you may install Windows Firewall Control from binisoft

http://www.binisoft.org/

marsellus

May 24, 2011
The best solution would be to Look 'n' Stop . In my opinion the best firewall classic but unfortunately paid. If you have a hardware firewall, you may be in the system.
After configuring it according to instructions:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750

D

Deleted member 178

i had a bad experience with it so it is why i moved to comodo firewall ^^

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
For a good firewall with no HIPS, I'd probably stay with Windows Firewall since it works good enough to get you protected.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually PC Tool Firewall Plus is a good choice even you used before, popups are not complicated.

As far I know most firewall days are implemented with HIPS,

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
PC Tools Firewall Plus uses the Windows Filtering Platform and it does have a light HIPS implemented into it. By default you don't see its pop-ups that often because the application trusts all digitally signed programs. Disabling that feature (Settings > General > Automatically allow applications with valid Digital Signatures) makes the product prompt the user quite often so most will probably prefer to cope with the danger of digitally signed malware. Nevertheless it seems to be a light (doesn't slow down the system) alternative to Win7 firewall and i would recommend it instead of the limited freeware version of Windows Firewall Control.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
BoXX28 said:
For a good firewall with no HIPS, I'd probably stay with Windows Firewall since it works good enough to get you protected.

The XP firewall however, has no outbound protection.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
New user is a Win7 user. Isn't it funny how Microsoft slowly improved the firewall? At first (win XP) it was off by default and had no outbound protection, in Win XP SP1 the firewall was on by default, but still no outbound, in Win7 outbound protection is possible but it is off by default.

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
bogdan said:
New user is a Win7 user. Isn't it funny how Microsoft slowly improved the firewall? At first (win XP) it was off by default and had no outbound protection, in Win XP SP1 the firewall was on by default, but still no outbound, in Win7 outbound protection is possible but it is off by default.
The firewall is fore win7, but I am a linux user.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.