Battle Firewalls: Glasswire vs ZoneAarm vs Comodo?

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
So i was asking to myself whats the best Free FW among these 3 products: GlassWire, ZoneAlarm and Comodo.

PS : From Comodo FW take into consideration only the Firewall part.

Reactions: Parsh and AtlBo

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hi :)
I think it depends on your needs : on an updated recent windows, i would add Glasswire because you don't need more.
For a begginer, just take ZoneAlarm, Comodo is for advanced users.
I agree. If you're not advanced user and you want firewall that has nice UI and it's easy to use, install GlassWire. I'm using it and I think it's great. ;)

Reactions: AtlBo

COMODO is OK.

Just enable Proactive security configuration and do not start experimenting with the myriad of settings. Users unfamiliar with COMODO's settings get themselves into trouble by experimenting, see unexpected behaviors, can't get their questions answered, get frustrated, and then abandon the software.

On the other hand, the only way to learn how COMODO works is to use it. Just take it slowly, read the 600+ page Help File, ask questions.

A

antreas

I like Glasswire because you can see every software who use internet and the IP address location with beautiful and easy to use UI.

I don't know now how it is i was using it months ago.

Reactions: Marko :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
glasswire is the best tool for informing you about what is happening. But it won't stop an app from connecting to the internet. You will find out about it, but it might be too late by then.
If you want to actually control things, use COMODO or binisoft windows firewall control

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Private Firewall you miss

Using PF for four years and recalling its use, I would say it's OK for use in many cases even now honestly. Jeff_T is right, though. Main thing that I would be concerned over is if someone could turn off the program, but not once did I run into this issue in four years. Crashes freezes, bluescreens, sketchy programs...nothing has beaten PF on systems here.

Overall, I want to hand credit to Privacyware :):D for a program that was ahead of its time with self-protection and functionality and FREE and without bugs. Two other examples. No password for settings, but they are stored in an non-editable form (as far as I can tell). Also, The PrivateFirewall service cannot be closed by another process, and PF functions even when the GUI is closed and removed from the system tray. Self-protection. Not bad for a product that was only written as a favor to a customer of Privacyware for his network.

Hat is off Privacyware :D. You gave us a program that we could use with confidence and use to imagine what is possible. I would also like to see a PrivateFirewall 8!

BTW, the Comodo Firewall test will show you why it's the best idea to move from Private Firewall. There are some types of activities that it doesn't notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parsh and Av Gurus

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I like Glasswire because you can see every software who use internet and the IP address location with beautiful and easy to use UI.

I don't know now how it is i was using it months ago.
Works great and it's not in beta anymore. You should try it.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Can anyone comment on the differences between Glasswire free and pro? I liked the free but didn't use it as a connection firewall. I had more connection firewalling configurations with PrivateFirewall at that time. Using Comodo Firewall 10 now for all the reasons Jeff_T states.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.