First Human Head Transplant (Details of Procedure)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
UPDATE: Story is a Hoax (Rumor has it).

Read Full Post: Doctor Ready to Perform First Human Head Transplant

It's a 36-hour, $20 million procedure involving at least 150 people, including doctors, nurses, technicians, psychologists and virtual reality engineers.

In a specially equipped hospital suite, two surgical teams will work simultaneously - one focused on Spiridonov and the other on the donor's body - selected from a brain-dead patient and matched with the Russian for height, build and immunotype.

"Both patients - anesthetized and outfitted with breathing tubes - will have their heads locked using metal pins and clamps, and electrodes will be attached to their bodies to monitor brain and heart activity. Next, Spiridonov's head will be nearly frozen, ultimately reaching 12 to 15 degrees Celsius, which will make him temporarily brain-dead.

Doctors will then drain his brain of blood and flush it with a standard surgery solution. A vascular surgeon will loop sleeve-like tubes made of Silastic (a silicone-plastic combination) around the carotid arteries and jugular veins; these tubes will be tightened to stop blood flow and later loosened to allow circulation when the head and new body are connected.

Then the two teams, working in concert, will make deep incisions around each patients neck and use color-coded markings to note all the muscles in both Spiridonov's head and that of the donor, to facilitate the reconnection.

Next comes the most critical step of all. Under an operating microscope, doctors will cleanly chop through both spinal cords - with a $200,000 diamond nanoblade, so thin that it is measured in angstroms, provided by the University of Texas.

Then the rush is on: Once sliced, Spiridonov's head will have to be attached to the donors body and connected to the blood flow within an hour. (When the head is transferred, the main vessels will be clamped to prevent air from causing a blockage.)

Surgeons will quickly sew the arteries and veins of Spiridonov's head to those of his new body. The donors blood flow will then, in theory, re-warm Spiridonov's head to normal temperatures within minutes.

If all that goes as planned, Canavero can then make good on his Dr. Strange inspiration with Gemini. The lengths of the transected spinal cord stumps will be adjusted so they're even, and the myelinated axons, the spaghetti-like parts of nerve cells, will be fused using a special type of glue made of polyethylene glycol, an inorganic polymer that Canavero says is the procedures true magical elixir. In this way, spinal cord function will be established by enabling the cytoplasm of adjacent cells to mix together.

Then it's time to make sure the spinal fusion is secure with a few loose sutures applied around the joined cord and threaded through the thin membrane surrounding the brain and spinal cord.

To finish securing Spiridonov's head, the previously exposed vertebral arteries of the donor and Spiridonov will also be linked to achieve proper blood flow. In addition, the dura, the tough outermost membrane covering the brain and spinal cord, will be sewn watertight with wires and clamps.

Doctors will similarly reconnect the trachea, esophagus, vagi and phrenic nerves, along with all of the severed muscles, and plastic surgeons will sew the skin for optimal cosmetic results.

Throughout, doctors will ensure a suppressed immune system through medication, and after the transplant, doctors will regularly screen Spiridonov's blood for anti-donor antibodies while he lies in a drug-induced coma for four weeks to allow his brain to recover.

During that time, doctors will electrically stimulate the spinal cord to promote communication between neurons and improve Spiridonov's motor and sensory functions.

Once he awakens, Spiridonov will start his rehabilitation, including virtual reality training. Canavero predicts his patient will be able to walk three to six months after surgery."​

Despite the thoroughness of the presentation at the Annapolis, Maryland, conference, Canavero and Spiridonov faced vitriol and doubt. Spiridonov fielded a question about the ethics of this surgery by asking if anyone would like to be in his shoes: needing assistance with defecation and urination and living a life without sex. A hush fell over the audience.

The Russian said he would rather risk death in this experimental surgery to achieve a higher quality of life than suffer the burdens of his current existence. If he is going to die, Canavero said later, he is the only one who can decide.

--- End of Quote ---

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Although these guys are surely much bigger experts than me, you cannot build a "frankenstein's monster" by simply putting some pieces together... At least, not until we create nanobots to imitate cells with expression of all artificial proteins and all the function the cells have. Especially the nerve cells in medulla. Like I said, these guys are smarter than me, but I would like to see what they are going to do with pyramidal system connections, and reflexes that maintains them... It's "easy" to sew an artery or vein, but I would like to see what they are going to do with the rest...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The cooling period between removal and re-attachment will damage the brain, the re-warming will take time, so say 1hr for surgery, maybe 30min for circulatory re-warming of the brain.
Approx 1hr 30min.
That's too long unless they can slow the cooling process, or speed up the warming process in a manner that wont cook the brain.
Great share Huracan, It's a fun read.
PeAcE

D

Deleted member 178

Maybe in future us humans will become ISOs - like Quorra in Tron Legacy.

I think most of us would ditch our DNA - if we could...

naaaah ! we would be destroyed by Skynet far before :D

Reactions: juhful
L

LabZero

Well I don't know if scientifically this is possible, perhaps in 1 year or maybe 10 years from now.

I read about malware and IT and this is science, working in scientific field, I want to stay on the side of science, but : ethically speaking: is the human mind completely detached from the body, which could easily be moved from one body to another one as is the case with a USB device to our pc? Or the human mind has a relationship with the body as a whole, for which its transfer to another body could be similar to our transfer in a planet in which there are not suitable conditions for life? Will the head the ability to feel the new body as his own? The head, who is also a personal memory, will be able to actually express themselves, perform the operations with the new body?
Said differently, we are simply spare parts, which you only have to assemble, or the identity of the man would be modified?

With regard to these questions I believe that it is impossible to answer in 1 year or 100 years from now...

D

Deleted member 178

The mind (or consciousness) is just the collective of electrical signal distilled by neurons, until you modify the neuronal network , the mind remains the same.
The body is just a complex mechanism controlled by the brain, it has nothing to do with the mind , when you sleep , you can move without your knowledge , it is you brain that control everything not the mind.

Reactions: juhful and LabZero

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have found this to be a greatly moving thread on many levels. This is definitely a strange & new frontier none have tread before. ..and as has been said already, it is challenging to wrap ones head about this, as well as one's body around it as this is far more than a transplant as such (and transplants of any kind should not be seen as simple). I know I shall feel more whole and appreciative to wake up tomorrow with my head attached to my body.:oops: Whew!:cool:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Still an interesting read, updated initial post with links to Snopes.com for more Hoax stories.

Reethu

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2014
Still an interesting read, updated initial post with links to Snopes.com for more Hoax stories.

Yeah, but if that happened, it would be like being alive in a new body :D If that happens I would like to be on Kelly Brooke's.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.