Advice Request First-Time PC Build Advice and Compatibility Check

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SaltyLonghorn

Thread author
Jun 12, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to build my own PC for the first time and would love some advice on the components I've chosen. My main use cases are gaming, video editing, and some 3D rendering. Here are the parts I've selected:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe SSD
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W
Case: NZXT H510

I have a few questions:

1. Are there any compatibility issues with these parts?
2. Will the 650W power supply be sufficient for this build?
3. Is the cooling solution (stock cooler or third-party) adequate for the Ryzen 7 5800X?
4. Are there any components you would recommend upgrading or changing?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you can provide. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions: Jack

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
1. Your selected parts are compatible.
2. The 650W power supply should be sufficient, but if you plan on overclocking or future upgrades, consider a 750W.
3. The Ryzen 7 5800X doesn't come with a stock cooler. I'd recommend a good third-party cooler, like the Noctua NH-D15.
4. Consider upgrading your RAM to a 32GB kit, especially for video editing and 3D rendering. Everything else looks good.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I like Noctua but the Thermalright coolers are much more affordable and quite performant. Also if you are mainly gaming a 5800x3d might be worth considering. It’ll last you a bit longer. I have a 5800x though, and it’s a very good chip still. And for non-gaming workloads it’s a little bit better than the x3d.

Reactions: Jack and Trident

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
GPU

If you are serious about video rendering and editing, then you need VRAM. I would choose something with at least 16GB of VRAM.
In this case, from the 30 series, I recommend the 3080 or 3090 (the 3090 is the best with 24GB VRAM). From the 40 series, I recommend the 4070 Ti Super, 4080, or 4090.
for games: 3080 < 4070 Ti < 3090 < 4070 Ti Super < 4080 < 4090.
for video rendering or editing VRAM is king so, 3090 or 4090.
I recommend using a bottleneck calculator because there are a lot of variations.

CPU
A stock cooler is not enough! Fact! Pick something better and thank me later.

RAM
At least 32GB of RAM.

Power Supply
Don't buy fancy brands. Buy a Seasonic power supply because they are the best on the market.
850W will be ok.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
A stock cooler is not enough! Fact! Pick something better
Absolutely true. For heavy use it's best to go with and excellent heatsink like the Noctua NH-U12A.
In addition to the design being time tested and excellent, the included 120mm fan is very quiet (which, for me at least, is very important.

Also the included thermal component is high quality, so no need to spend extra for Arctic MX-4.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Absolutely true. For heavy use it's best to go with and excellent heatsink like the Noctua NH-U12A.
fwiw agree agree... this pc started with mediocre liquid cooling, and with no prior indication crapped out, dry IIRC, and then installed high-end Noctua heatsink and fan(s) and been running cool the past several years.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.