Five Billion Phones to be Thrown Away in 2022

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This year, 5.3 billion mobile phones will be thrown away the international waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) forum says.

Its estimate, based on global trade data, highlights the growing environmental problem of "e-waste". Many people keep old phones, rather than recycling them, research suggests. Precious minerals not extracted from waste electronics, such as the copper in wire or the cobalt in rechargeable batteries, have to be mined. "People tend not to realise that all these seemingly insignificant items have a lot of value and together at a global level represent massive volumes," WEEE director general Pascal Leroy said. There are an estimated 16 billion mobile phones worldwide - and in Europe, almost a third are no longer in use. The WEEE says its research shows the "mountain" of electrical and electronic waste - from washing machines and toasters to tablet computers and global positioning system (GPS) devices - will grow to 74 million tonnes a year by 2030.

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Had three phones in my lifetime. 1st one I got when I was 15.
People are used too much to change them every 1-2-3 years.
Not to mention non removable batteries.

i dont want to live on this planet anymore GIF

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.