Five Eyes Nations Demand Access to Encrypted Messaging

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
An alliance of national intelligence partners known as the Five Eyes – Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the US – is demanding encryption backdoors in apps such as Facebook’s WhatsApp.

As reported by the Telegraph on Wednesday, the UK’s new Home Secretary, Priti 
Patel, accused Facebook of helping out child abusers, drug traffickers and terrorists plotting attacks with its plans to help them hide messages behind the end-to-end encryption it plans to spread across all of its messaging services. In March, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced what he framed as a major, more privacy-focused strategy shift, with end-to-end encryption being a key component. He said at the time that the company would develop a highly secure private communications platform based on Facebook’s Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp services. The prospect is unanimously seen as bad news by the Five Eyes nations.

Patel’s warnings come on the heels of a two-day Five Eyes meeting she hosted in London along with Geoffrey Cox, the UK’s Attorney General. In attendance were security and law enforcement officials from the Five Eyes nations who said that they were worried about high-tech companies moving to “deliberately design their systems in a way that precludes any form of access to content, even in cases of the most serious crimes.” In a communique that reportedly came out of the meeting, the Five Eyes nations called for backdoors: Tech companies should include mechanisms in the design of their encrypted products and services whereby governments, acting with appropriate legal authority, can obtain access to data in a readable and usable format.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

End to End encrypted messaging is a major issue for intelligence. It creates a giant black hole. Unless they can interdict individual devices then everything goes black and they don't have the technology/time/resources to interdict on a mass scale. Hence they want backdoors in the encryption itself.

It won't happen. With each new month, more and more goes dark for them. People underestimate what Snowden did. He changed the world. People, companies and countries started changing their technologies, habits and routines as a result, and with each passing year more than more technologies came out as a DIRECT result of his disclosures.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Go Five Eyes.

Any of the 5-Eyes countries could abuse decryption capabilities.... and if given the power, may at some point. Mankind is inherently imperfect.

But all the 5-Eyes are generally reasonable countries (The US will be again one day), and they are doing what they can not only to protect their own population, but the people of other countries.

Criminals, terrorists, and scumbags should not be given an easy pass.

Cut them off..... and lock them up.

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings. Because I'm not a criminal, go ahead. However corruption is a real problem in every country and if the government can read your messages then for example whistle blowers and journalists could not do their job properly.
Security is more important!

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Criminals can hide illegal things in their house, so will it be good if for of this reason people are ordered not to live in houses.
This is really a bad idea, you can't just cut security of common people citing the reason that criminals may also enjoy the same security.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I have mixed feelings. Because I'm not a criminal, go ahead. However corruption is a real problem in every country and if the government can read your messages then for example whistle blowers and journalists could not do their job properly.

I think this is the root of this whole problem.

Unfortunately the bad guys/gals can use the same technology to hide from the law, so I do see the point from law enforcement. However, the reason why there is so much push back against this type of thing, isn't that people don't want the bad guys/gals from getting caught and arrested, it's that in the past this type of thing always gets abused. Law enforcement and governments like to paint the picture that these so call backdoors will ONLY be used to catch the BAD guys and gals, but unfortunately for them their past behaviors paint a different picture. It won't be used only to catch the bad guys/gals, it will be used for other reasons like snooping on whistle blowers, media, political opponents, etc... Furthermore, the other big reason is that you cannot hide a backdoor forever, it will always be there, so as much as you want to say that only you will use it when needed, unfortunately the hackers and other governments (ie Russia/China, etc..) will look for these backdoors and find ways to exploit them, so in essence you are also giving a backdoor to other foreign governments (that you may not want to), even if you do not directly tell them about it.

This issue with this whole thing is that while I can sympathize with law enforcement trying to do their job, they as well as politicians really have no clue on the dangers/ ramifications from doing this. Hence the tech companies are pushing back and rightly so IMHO, as they understand the ramifications from such a feature. (y)

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
This is ripe for abuse, especially against minorities (see China), and that is how it starts.

Once everyone knows backdoors exist, they will go after it. Nothing can be made secure then. Other governments to criminals.

Why stop at just encryption backdoors?

Laws change and many stupid laws are created. Most of this tech is used to the fight the ridiculous war on drugs (legalize and tax). Prohibition. Canada has started marijuana legalization, the world is following.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is the crux of it. If we use history as a guide, it will be abused, exploited and in some cases not properly controlled and exploited by nefarious actors. If anyone is working from the presumption our govt. (or some aspects of it) aren't in some cases, absolutely corrupt and evil they are delusional. The entire military/intelligence complex is a giant parasitical entity itself. Our govt. in many cases is a for-profit parasitical endeavor controlled by a few who are profiting off the suffering of humanity. (not in every case, but in many) Giving these sociopaths the keys to your privacy and freedom is going to go very very badly.

I don't trust China. But I have even less trust of the US Govt. as the entire country is basically a giant, perpetually operating, perpetually growing military/intelligence complex impacting virtually every location on the planet in some way (and usually negatively)

Bases in USA, a place that will never be invaded. So ask yourself, what's the purpose of all of this?

USmil2.PNG

Year by year US Military movements worldwide.

USmil.png

Sorry no. They can't have the encryption keys. Mind you there are exceptional people in our military and government. I do not question that. But there are some of the biggest sociopaths I have ever seen in my life in them as well. In addition to the political leaders that have vast control over them and the financiers who have control over even them - and some of those are absolutely inhuman sociopaths.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I don't trust China. But I have even less trust of the US Govt. as the entire country is basically a giant, perpetually operating, perpetually growing military/intelligence complex impacting virtually every location on the planet in some way (and usually negatively)

Don't trust them. The military-intelligence complex guys are vicious and nasty.

But there are some of the biggest sociopaths I have ever seen in my life in them as well. In addition to the political leaders that have vast control over them and the financiers who have control over even them - and some of those are absolutely inhuman sociopaths.

Every single member of the military-intelligence complex needs to be rounded up and put in detention facilities.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Don't trust them. The military-intelligence complex guys are vicious and nasty.

Every single member of the military-intelligence complex needs to be rounded up and put in detention facilities.
Especially the NSA,ONI,Unit 8200,among others..!

Kwan ST

Level 2
Verified
Dec 22, 2016
My two cents,
If I was the government I would demand backdoor from these applications all the time and make sure to leak demands because I already have a backdoor. The targets who want to hide something will have a false sense of security, brilliant strategy in my opinion.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.