Status
Not open for further replies.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I've been seriously considering using Linux on an old xp desktop and you give me hope with the list of software you've posted here. Any suggestion about the Linux version to install on this machine, old Pentium, 1 gig of ram.
Thanks Flengo.

Flengo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
I've been seriously considering using Linux on an old xp desktop and you give me hope with the list of software you've posted here. Any suggestion about the Linux version to install on this machine, old Pentium, 1 gig of ram.
Thanks Flengo.
If you're looking for an easy-to-use distro that's lightweight, I'd recommend Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with Xfce as its desktop environment. Ubuntu is really easy to use for beginners and has a lot of community support; Xfce is extremely lightweight, very stable and a lot like XP.

If you ever have a question, feel free to PM me. :)

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you're looking for an easy-to-use distro that's lightweight, I'd recommend Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with Xfce as its desktop environment. Ubuntu is really easy to use for beginners and has a lot of community support; Xfce is extremely lightweight, very stable and a lot like XP.

If you ever have a question, feel free to PM me. :)
Thank you Flengo, It's not that I'm in love with xp just that I've ended up with a desktop with xp and I'm hitting block walls at every turn. Unemployed for about a year so I can't indulge in something else. Greatful for even xp desktop. Thanks though, I'll start by trying Xubuntu and I'll let you know how it goes.

Flengo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
Grsync or rsync is very fast in making backups. So, which download manger you use on FF nightly?
For most things I just download things in Nightly's regular downloader. If it's a big file and I need it quick, I'll download it using JDownloader2 (GUI app) or aria2 (terminal app).

Reactions: Vasudev

Flengo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
Is it good or better than Downthemall?
I've never used DownThemAll, but I'd assume it would be better as they're both standalone apps and not restricted by the browser it's in. I could be completely wrong, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.