Battle For Android Paid - Kaspersky Internet Security vs G-Data Internet Security

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
G-DATA Internet Security for Android isn't exactly cheap, it's double that of what Kaspersky for Android offers.

That said, both offer Free versions and a quote from G-Data's Play Store description: "the LIGHT version will still provide complete virus protection" - why pay more?

Not interested in paying for AV software on Android, but between the 2 apps, pick the one you have an existing account with, for less stress.

Reactions: HarborFront
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

AV on Android is an easy decision - play protect doesn't work very well.

I've tested every suite, here's my general opinion;

Recommended;
Dr. Web Security Space - quite simply, this is one of the best Android offerings. URL protection works at a deep level, Firewall is one of the best no-root firewalls out there. SMS Loss Protection, Sim Card Protection, Lock Screen tampering protection and strong security auditing. Virtually zero battery drain.
Emsisoft - nice security suite overall, no problems noted, plenty of features including SMS control
Bit Defender Paid - nice suite, a lot like Emsisoft in many respects on Android, Quality.
Norton(paid) - shockingly, this is actually one of the best Android offerings. Feature rich, fast, no battery drain, strong overall.
Panda - I dislike Panda (a bit) on the PC, but their Android Offering is very solid. Great features, a strong theft protection system, awesome app locker, etc.

Other ones I wasn't impressed with or had bugs. Sophos might be something to look into. G Data had a lot of broken features like SMS doesn't work on anything higher than Android 4.4 (LOL?). F-Secure is a massive feature rich suite but murders battery.

Not sure if people know, if you buy Dr. Web Security Space for PC, you get a lifetime license for Dr Web Security Space Android. I know - I've had it for going on 3 years now installed on Android, it has no expiration date. 'A free gift for you' when you buy Dr. Web for PC.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

Recommended;
Dr. Web Security Space - quite simply, this is one of the best Android offerings. URL protection works at a deep level, Firewall is one of the best no-root firewalls out there. SMS Loss Protection, Sim Card Protection, Lock Screen tampering protection and strong security auditing. Virtually zero battery drain.
Emsisoft - nice security suite overall, no problems noted, plenty of features including SMS control
Bit Defender Paid - nice suite, a lot like Emsisoft in many respects on Android, Quality.
Norton(paid) - shockingly, this is actually one of the best Android offerings. Feature rich, fast, no battery drain, strong overall.
Panda - I dislike Panda (a bit) on the PC, but their Android Offering is very solid. Great features, a strong theft protection system, awesome app locker, etc.

Other ones I wasn't impressed with or had bugs. Sophos might be something to look into. G Data had a lot of broken features like SMS doesn't work on anything higher than Android 4.4 (LOL?). F-Secure is a massive feature rich suite but murders battery.

Not sure if people know, if you buy Dr. Web Security Space for PC, you get a lifetime license for Dr Web Security Space Android. I know - I've had it for going on 3 years now installed on Android, it has no expiration date. 'A free gift for you' when you buy Dr. Web for PC.
Emsisoft is probably licensing the Bitdefender android app since its a 1:1 mirror image.
Norton is good on the battery but eats memory like a cookie monster.

Bushman

Level 2
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
Trend micro is also a good choice with many features and pre-scan applications on Play Store. before installation..
Dr Web Security Space with all features is really efficient and free if you get PC License

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Trend micro is also a good choice with many features and pre-scan applications on Play Store. before installation..
Dr Web Security Space with all features is really efficient and free if you get PC License
Trend Micro is really good for android, if it weren't for the fact that auto updating shits itself randomly and will never update successfully anymore.
plus the false positives on it is ridiculous.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Trend Micro is really good for android, if it weren't for the fact that auto updating shits itself randomly and will never update successfully anymore.
plus the false positives on it is ridiculous.

Agreed. FP's are annoying but the auto-update messing up the product is bad. Also, Trend is a telemetry front for the CIA via Booz Allen Hamilton since the CIA can't 'officially' operate on US Soil. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: upnorth and mekelek
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

But are we sure kaspersky and Dr Web haven't links with FSB?

We aren't. But there is no evidence of it. Contrary to Trend, which openly admits it is fused with US Intelligence. So one is a 'we don't know' the other is 'we know for sure'. I'll take absolutes over speculation any day.

Reactions: upnorth

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Recommended;

I'm trying to choose a mobile security for my upcoming Samsung phone. Some of the issues I come across include

1) Having the need to use a VPN like a built-in firewall with Dr Web, or the need to root the phone if you use Avast's firewall. I'm reserving the use of a local VPN for the firewall of either AdClear or WebGuard

2) AV's protection. Of course 100% is the best

3) Extra features. Generally, they come with more or less the same features. From the AV test in the starting post if the AV comes with less red 'X' the better for me

4) Support of browsers for web protection. I'll be using Tenta/Orfox browsers. These 2 are slow. I hope with my latest Samsung phone I can see some speed improvement. Otherwise will switch to the use of TugaBrowser/FF Quantum. Almost all the ISS support the stock android browser(Samsung Internet Browser if you use a Samsung phone) with Chrome/FF/Opera/Opera Mini and Dolphin depending on which ISS you are using.

5) Users' feedback on the ISS from the Google Play Store

Likely the pairing would goes like this for me

Tenta Browser with Disconnect PRO - Tenta Browser has a VPN
Orfox with Adclear(or WebGuard) - Both AdClear and WebGuard require a local VPN

As for TugaBrowser/FF Quantum I'll need a separate dedicated VPN with some changes to my other security apps

The important thing is the ISS should not use a VPN. FI, I'm now using the free, ads-free, feature-rich Sophos Mobile Security with real-time protection.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I'm trying to choose a mobile security for my upcoming Samsung phone. Some of the issues I come across include

1) Having the need to use a VPN like a built-in firewall with Dr Web, or the need to root the phone if you use Avast's firewall. I'm reserving the use of a local VPN for the firewall of either AdClear or WebGuard

2) AV's protection. Of course 100% is the best

3) Extra features. Generally, they come with more or less the same features. From the AV test in the starting post if the AV comes with less red 'X' the better for me

4) Support of browsers for web protection. I'll be using Tenta/Orfox browsers. These 2 are slow. I hope with my latest Samsung phone I can see some speed improvement. Otherwise will switch to the use of TugaBrowser/FF Quantum. Almost all the ISS support the stock android browser(Samsung Internet Browser if you use a Samsung phone) with Chrome/FF/Opera/Opera Mini and Dolphin depending on which ISS you are using.

5) Users' feedback on the ISS from the Google Play Store

Likely the pairing would goes like this for me

Tenta Browser with Disconnect PRO - Tenta Browser has a VPN
Orfox with Adclear(or WebGuard) - Both AdClear and WebGuard require a local VPN

As for TugaBrowser/FF Quantum I'll need a separate dedicated VPN with some changes to my other security apps

The important thing is the ISS should not use a VPN. FI, I'm now using the free, ads-free, feature-rich Sophos Mobile Security with real-time protection.
sadly the firewall either needs root or a vpn to properly filter.
tried Dr.Web since last night, it's doing its job but way heavier than Bitdefender. the firewall is nice tho, you can create rules and it shows all the IPs the apps are connecting to.

I don't think you will find an AV that supports those browser tbh, it's a miracle Opera/Firefox is covered by most.

also why do you need the VPN to be inside the browser? Bitdefender offers the VPN but you can fully disable it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
sadly the firewall either needs root or a vpn to properly filter.
tried Dr.Web since last night, it's doing its job but way heavier than Bitdefender. the firewall is nice tho, you can create rules and it shows all the IPs the apps are connecting to.

I don't think you will find an AV that supports those browser tbh, it's a miracle Opera/Firefox is covered by most.

also why do you need the VPN to be inside the browser? Bitdefender offers the VPN but you can fully disable it.
Don't understand your question 'also why do you need the VPN to be inside the browser?'

:rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.