Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
0194623393.jpg

The format war. Over the last few decades it has played out across various forms of tech -- AC vs. DC, VHS vs. Beta -- usually with fierce battle lines drawn and millions, or even billions, of dollars at stake. Recently, none has burned so brightly as the battle of HD DVD vs. Blu-ray (read our blow-by-blow retrospective of the 2005-2007 battle here). And it brought all the classic elements: Sides were divided between titans of the industry, led by Sony pressing the Blu-ray side and Toshiba backing HD DVD, with the PS3 and Xbox 360 ready to serve as Trojan horses. As if the stakes weren't high enough already, the specter of an oncoming internet-streaming winter loomed like Game of Throne's army of White Walkers. So what really happened? Who won in the end? And, most importantly, was that victory actually worth it all?

Full article

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Blu-ray! didn't hd dvd die with Xbox or so? Blu-ray is the future; if it will still be alive then we might see 250GB or so Blu-ray disk for instance from Pioneer

Reactions: Venustus

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I can not remember the last time I bought a movie disk, I have a subscription to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Plus my local cable has pay per view. I can watch just about anything anytime I want to. There is also Redbox in my area that only changes $1 per day for new releases.

I believe the real winner is streaming media services.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: Oxygen and Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.