Fort File Encryption: protect individual files (by gHacks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Fort File Encryption is an open source security program for Windows that allows anyone to protect individual files on Windows PCs.

You have three main options when it comes to encrypting data on your computer. You can encrypt the hard drive, create an encrypted container that you can put files into, or encrypt individual files.

What you select depends largely on what your goals are. If you just want to protect an important document, then you may not want to spend the time to encrypt the hard drive.

Fort File Encryption is a free program for Windows that offers that option to you.

Fort File Encryption
fort-encryption.png

You can download the program from the developer website and need to install it on the Windows machine afterwards.

Please note that it requires the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 to work, and that it is compatible with all supported versions of the Windows operating system.

The program adds an entry to the Windows Explorer menu that you use to encrypt and decrypt files on the system.

The process itself has been streamlined for ease of use. Right-click on a file or files, and select Fort > Encrypt from the context menu to start the encryption process.

You are asked to type a passphrase that is used to encrypt the file. Fort File Encryption grades the strength of the password you type.

You may click on the plus icon next to the passphrase field to have a random password generated for you by the program. A click on the "eye-icon" next to it reveals the password so that you can copy and paste it, or memorize it.

A click on encrypt creates encrypted versions of the selected files in the same directory. You will notice that a backup copy of the original file is placed in the directory as well.

If you don't require that, you may disable that in the program settings.

fort-settings.png

There you find other interesting options. First, you may disallow insecure passphrases from being selected in the encryption process.

Fort File Encryption won't accept passwords that it grades as weak if you disallow insecure passphrases in the program settings.

A click on interface displays an option to add verification to the password selection process. Instead of having to type the password once only, you now have to type it twice after enabling the option which helps you make sure the password that you have typed is correct.

The program uses AES 256-bit for encryption and is not limited in regards to file size.

Closing Words
Fort File Encryption has been designed to protect individual files to avoid unauthorized access. You can use it to protect files on the local system, or files that you store in the cloud or send to others via email or messaging applications.

The program is only available for Windows though which limits its use if you use devices that run other operating systems like Android or Linux as you won't be able to decrypt the data on these devices.

Source: Fort File Encryption: protect individual files - gHacks Tech News

D

Deleted member 2913

So its not for folder encryption, right?

How stable & reliable is it?

I use to use AxCrypt for file encryption but once lost few files as it gave error on decryption And at that time I was not into data backup & all.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo: Yes for file encryption for only, if we are talking the stable and reliable then its matter of security and encryption where usual program must possess that.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I will just continue to use WinAntiRansome's safe zone.
Too many "What If's" with software like this and the updates and hot fixes to come may render
these small encryption software useless. I would be careful and not add new software till after the AU
patching dust settles. jmho
PeAcE

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I still prefer GPG4win , rock solid.

Me too !

I'm an "Asymmetric Encryption" sort of person , and I have yet to see anything new that would
make me switch from GPG4win .

OK , so it requires a bit of input from the user , and there's a definite " learning curve" ,
but it really pays dividends if you put the effort in .

For anyone who wants to know more about why this is so important , there's a great beginners guide here .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.