AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Anyone used FK lately? A member asked me if I knew anything about FK and linked a pdf with great information here:

http://www.fortknox-firewall.com/download/manual.pdf

It's about $22 for 5 lifetime keys, so I want to see if it's as good as the pdf makes it appear to be. Process defense looks possibly very good, but I really liked the ability to monitor Windows settings all in one place like sharing etc.

What I would really like is an application that monitored net facing elements of Windows like remote desktop and FTP and file sharing settings that made it possible to manage them separately from svchost or whatever like most firewalls seem to do. The usual way doesn't work. Monitoring the actual element of Windows would make it possible to enable with confidence even remote desktop (if certain protocols had to be met for a connection to complete). However, finding this is another story I guess for now...

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
FK looks pretty far ahead of even Binisoft in terms of features. I'm thinking of it for a non-Comodo system, but it looks like I might like it better even than Comodo HIPS + firewall elements. However, whether FK is well written and smooth to operate and use is a subject I cannot speak to from the looks alone. I remember when Comodo was v3 and v4 and what a complete joke it was. It broke everything...

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
FK looks pretty far ahead of even Binisoft in terms of features. I'm thinking of it for a non-Comodo system, but it looks like I might like it better even than Comodo HIPS + firewall elements. However, whether FK is well written and smooth to operate and use is a subject I cannot speak to from the looks alone. I remember when Comodo was v3 and v4 and what a complete joke it was. It broke everything...

It is difficult to find reviews on FW on the net.

The other one with great network protection features is ESET IS.

With FortKnox you can choose an AV of your choice since it's a dedicated FW with IPS. ZA, Comodo and Spyshelter don't even come close to it in terms of network protection features

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I know and that's one of the reson I feel it's awkward even if it's ofcourse there 100% right to create different sites/sub domains etc. The other thing is posted information about different version numbers on the exact same product. Could be a great product but things like that confuse IMO and I shouldn't be forced to install just to know what version it actually is.

Current Build:
FortKnox Personal Firewall
v7.0.205

FortKnox Personal Firewall 22.0.330.0

Guess there webmaster needs to clean it up. :coffee:

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
With FortKnox you can choose an AV of your choice since it's a dedicated FW with IPS. ZA, Comodo and Spyshelter don't even come close to it in terms of network protection features

I think I will end up trying it since it's less than $5 per license. I mean, those are lifetime licenses so if they improve it, I guess it would be great to have the key for that also.

Thx for this information, and that's kind of the way the pdf made it appear to me. I believe in network protection to the highest degree, and I want to find the best possible option. IDK, but I may end up using the key on some computers here with Comodo installed and moving to something else on those. Then again maybe I'll just turn off Comodo HIPS and firewall elements for the short term. Not sure yet.

If I try it I will try to remember to post some initial impressions here. :)

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I know and that's one of the reson I feel it's awkward even if it's ofcourse there 100% right to create different sites/sub domains etc. The other thing is posted information about different version numbers on the exact same product. Could be a great product but things like that confuse IMO and I shouldn't be forced to install just to know what version it actually is.

Current Build:
FortKnox Personal Firewall
v7.0.205

FortKnox Personal Firewall 22.0.330.0

Guess there webmaster needs to clean it up. :coffee:
The latest version is found here

AntiSpyware | AntiVirus | Registry Cleaner | Personal Firewall | Free Trial Downloads

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
It looks good. I like that it monitors for port scanning. I mean, it's a nuisance, and I feel like ti's good to know about and one of the things I liked about ESET from what I saw of it.

Don't know if the intrusion protection system would alert for an incoming remote desktop connection. Kind of don't see the point. Noone would be there to allow the request if it was a legit request, so it would be blocked. I think it would take a system like TeamViewer with an encrypted key or something for remote desktop to be securable...Fort Knox on both machines with some kind of protocol designed for secure connection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I wonder how good this Netgate firm is. I've never heard of their Amiti antivirus. Looks like it's free.

They offer a full internet security suite, with a lifetime license for $30. I haven't seen a lifetime license for a first-line defense product.

Upvote 0

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I wonder how good this Netgate firm is. I've never heard of their Amiti antivirus. Looks like it's free.

They offer a full internet security suite, with a lifetime license for $30. I haven't seen a lifetime license for a first-line defense product.

that is called: go out from the cold underground into light, I don't mean it in a bad way, on the other hand, that's good, they need to hurry, be disclosed due to the vast competition.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I've known of Fortnox for years and to be honest I've never known it to be any good. It's not about what features a product has it's how effective those features are. It would be good to see CruelSister test this product out. I just don't see any need to pay for a stand alone firewall when there's Comodo for free. And for the people making claims that it's better than Comodo firewall because of it's features I'd like to see you prove that with all of the features in Comodo firewall enabled too. Anyone who wants to argue the point that Fortnox is better than Comodo prove it and if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up, but Fornox firewall has always been sub-par.

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Biggest drawback is it doesn't monitor IPv6 as an option like Comodo does. However, for what it's worth, it is a nice template for building a very good firewall application.

I sent a feedback message to the developers kind of hoping they might be interested in some beta testers or something. Didn't or haven't heard from them, so. Hard to beat Binisoft, which I still have installed on this PC, but seriously, it wouldn't take very much to get FK to the level where I feel the price would be well worth paying and then some.

Wish I could say otherwise at this point. I mean initial impressions were pretty good for me, but it's iffy with Comodo out there and Binisoft. I do think it is an application that would benefit greatly from going to the next level with development...

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've known of Fortnox for years and to be honest I've never known it to be any good. It's not about what features a product has it's how effective those features are. It would be good to see CruelSister test this product out. I just don't see any need to pay for a stand alone firewall when there's Comodo for free. And for the people making claims that it's better than Comodo firewall because of it's features I'd like to see you prove that with all of the features in Comodo firewall enabled too. Anyone who wants to argue the point that Fortnox is better than Comodo prove it and if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up, but Fornox firewall has always been sub-par.
Are you talking of the malware-blocking capability of the FWs or are you talking of the protection capability (against network attacks) of the network features of the FWs?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.