Advice Request Forticlient with Kaspersky

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
If u want to try forticlient free...pair with a third party BB such as Avast...
Avast does give u choice on what to iNstall...(Strong Web filter + Real time Signatures + Good BB)..
(y)....Highest Freemium Security available at par with Premium with above:)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can i install forticlient ( only web filter enable ) with kaspersky.
I would say kaspersky has equal or better web filter than forticlient, no joke
you shouldn't install them together because I have seen a few posts reported the incompatibility issues between forticlient and other apps
don't forget, you can install Norton DNS (199.85.126.10, 199.85.127.10), which has excellent database too, for free and without any conflict. It doesn't consume any resource but at a cost of reducing your internet speed a bit

If u want to try forticlient free...pair with a third party BB such as Avast...
Avast does give u choice on what to iNstall...(Strong Web filter + Real time Signatures + Good BB)..
(y)....Highest Freemium Security available at par with Premium with above:)
I was testing avast's BB alone and I got smashed by their forum. The developers of avast also involved and said there was a connection between BB and file shield and especially web shield so they should be installed together in order for the BB to fully functioning. BB alone can only have 70-80% of its original power, IMO. Furthermore, avast is the king of conflict and incompatibility,... avast is the only security app that conflicts with NVT OSA, my favorite software

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
you shouldn't install them together because I have seen a few posts reported the incompatibility issues between forticlient and other apps
don't forget, you can install Norton DNS (199.85.126.10, 199.85.127.10), which has excellent database too, for free and without any conflict. It doesn't consume any resource but at a cost of reducing your internet speed a bit

I was testing avast's BB alone and I got smashed by their forum. The developers of avast also involved and said there was a connection between BB and file shield and especially web shield so they should be installed together in order for the BB to fully functioning. BB alone can only have 70-80% of its original power, IMO. Furthermore, avast is the king of conflict and incompatibility,... avast is the only security app that conflicts with NVT OSA, my favorite software
Seem to come across kaspersky Anti Ransom( For Business)...may be their BB..for free...For personal too
Funny thing is that it never installs with KAV Free...so most probably a BB..
How could it be installing FortiC free..with it
Or any other free Av out there

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Seem to come across kaspersky Anti Ransom( For Business)...may be their BB..for free...For personal too
+1 for kaspersky antiransomware
however, it's a trimmed down version of system watcher, specialized against trojans (ransomwares are trojans according to kaspersky). I tested it with other types of malware other than trojans, if KSN didn't block it, KART was killed. Meanwhile, KIS's original system watcher easily blocked the same malwares

I think forticlient should be used with anti-exe, OSArmor or SRP since it already has great web filter and signatures

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
Why? ... the kaspersky web filter for me is excellent.:)
Kaspersky sometime failed to detect java script virus.

I cannot use custom dns. My isp blocked custom dns.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Why not bitdefender free? Very good signatures and with a behavior blocker. And for your browser i would go with adguard (addon) or Norton Safe Web (addon).

OK If you are a Kaspersky free fan, i would take a look for a combo with Voodooshield or Comodo Firewall.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky sometime failed to detect java script virus.

I cannot use custom dns. My isp blocked custom dns.
what javascript viruses did you get? forticlient is still a signature-based AV so it's hit-and-miss too
for javascript viruses, I recommend using Avira browser safety (for chrome and firefox), after installing, go to settings and disable all options
avira is good at blocking malicious javascripts

if you mean javascript viruses such as .js, .vbs or java viruses, simply block the main processes from execution and use you windows firewall to block them from connecting to the internet
- block execution of wscript.exe, cscript.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, java.exe, javaw.exe, mshta.exe
- if you have group policy, block execution of extensions: .scr, .hta (+.vbs, .vbe, .vb, .ps1, .hta, .jar, .com, .js, .jse, .jsw if you don't do the above step)
- block outbound internet connection of all above mentioned processes + cmd.exe, conhost.exe

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
@bribon77 how do you get the web filter if you no longer use Kaspersky, after i switched to Emsisoft i lost it and when i tried to get it it said it is only available if you are using Kaspersky, i actually miss having it :( so just wondered if you have it as a stand alone product.
No, I do not have it, you only have it if you have Kaspersky installed. But what I say is that the kaspersky filter is good

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015
what javascript viruses did you get? forticlient is still a signature-based AV so it's hit-and-miss too
for javascript viruses, I recommend using Avira browser safety (for chrome and firefox), after installing, go to settings and disable all options
avira is good at blocking malicious javascripts

if you mean javascript viruses such as .js, .vbs or java viruses, simply block the main processes from execution and use you windows firewall to block them from connecting to the internet
- block execution of wscript.exe, cscript.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, java.exe, javaw.exe, mshta.exe
- if you have group policy, block execution of extensions: .scr, .hta (+.vbs, .vbe, .vb, .ps1, .hta, .jar, .com, .js, .jse, .jsw if you don't do the above step)
- block outbound internet connection of all above mentioned processes + cmd.exe, conhost.exe
I use kaspersky total security so i do not use windows firewall. How to block those extensions using kaspersky firewall.

Reactions: Weebarra

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I use kaspersky total security so i do not use windows firewall. How to block those extensions using kaspersky firewall.
@harlan4096 hi, could you please help him to use the firewall to block wscript.exe, cscript.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, java.exe, javaw.exe, mshta.exe, cmd.exe?
I don't have KIS installed so it's hard for me to make a guide. Thank you so much

mamamia

Level 3
Verified
Feb 27, 2016

Hey Mahesh, Qihoo+CF or KIS?.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
+1 for kaspersky antiransomware
however, it's a trimmed down version of system watcher, specialized against trojans (ransomwares are trojans according to kaspersky). I tested it with other types of malware other than trojans, if KSN didn't block it, KART was killed. Meanwhile, KIS's original system watcher easily blocked the same malwares

I think forticlient should be used with anti-exe, OSArmor or SRP since it already has great web filter and signatures
Norton DN
Hey Mahesh, Qihoo+CF or KIS?.
KIS...qihoo is a bloat with unnecessary overactive BB...Very basic firewall glasswire..
If u want to do different..definetly give a try with ESCAN ISS..Fully automated powerful AV out there

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@harlan4096 hi, could you please help him to use the firewall to block wscript.exe, cscript.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, java.exe, javaw.exe, mshta.exe, cmd.exe?
I don't have KIS installed so it's hard for me to make a guide. Thank you so much
Sorry for the late reply... giving a fast answer without thinking much, there are some options:

1.- We may tweak "Application Control" to move to restrictions groups (Low, High Restricted or directly Untrusted) unknown applications. This option will affect to every file executable extension.

2.- Or may enable TAM -> Trusted Application Mode. This option will affect to every file executable extension.

3.- Or Finally create a category in Application Control -> Manage Resources -> User Files, called (for example to block vbs scripts): "BLOCK VBS" -> then "File or Folder" -> and there type the drive where we will block the access to *.vbs script, as it shows in the screen-shot, also setting the rights for *.vbs in the system: Imgur

:oops: I assigned a very high paranoid rights there, they even won't allow to create/access/copy/move/delete any *.vbs :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.