FortiClient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
I have a few question's about this antivirus:
1. Is it fully free?
2. Does it perform well on all versions of windows (preferably 10)
3. How good is the detection rate?

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

Forticlient is a Antivirus for the Enterprise but the free version can be used as a home solution.

Yes, the free version is completely free. It just doesn't include all the features. The free includes web and real time protection which is really all you need.

Yes, I have used it on Windows 10 and it worked flawlessly.

The detection rate is decent. You can head over to the malware hub to check what people have posted using it. It pretty much relies on signatures and contains no HIPS or behaviour blockers. It is defenseless against today's emerging 0 day threats.

I hope I have helped. :)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I have a few question's about this antivirus:
1. Is it fully free?
2. Does it perform well on all versions of windows (preferably 10)
3. How good is the detection rate?

It is, indeed, free with a fully functional firewall... at least that is what the free version had last time I checked ages ago. It is an alternative to Comodo Internet Security in this regard.

You will not know how it works until you try it on your specific system. Honestly, I have never seen anyone use it here at MT.

VB states its detection rate is good: Virus Bulletin : VB100 award - latest comparative

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
1) One of the version is free to use which come up with AV and Web Filter

2) In base of user test, Forticlient does very well even in zero day hence pretty good for not just home usage but enterprise means.

The thing consider is that no any secondary components like BB/HIPS to consider if everything is bypass.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
The detection rate is above average and unlike most AV's, will detect adware very well. It also uses heuristics which is still an effective tool against zero days. I have used it before many many times and for long periods and can say it is worth using. It's web protection is far above average, highly customizable (you can have it block or allow practically any category of website. Even VPN's (proxy avoidance) - which is checked by default under potentially liable, and this av won't just go and do whatever it wants without user permission which is a plus for me (it will however block access until you tell it what to do, including whitelisting it). I've never actually seen it have any false positives unless you count adware as something that shouldn't be detected which can be turned off. It is labeled as grayware in the settings.

You can also right click (context menu) a file and submit to them. Normally I get a file looked at within 4 hours and is then detected properly. Most of the time I submitted adware like OpenCandy. Forticlient is probably the best free AV for privacy. I would recommend turning off it's logging to avoid high CPU usage. Other than that it's light as can be. I think I recall it working very well alongside Comodo Firewall. Unfortunately if it did have it's own firewall, it does not any longer. I last used Forticlient less than a week ago.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
When I used it, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn off it's automatic schedule scanning which was quite annoying. Anyone know how you would go about doing this? Maybe I am just missing something or are they just forced on you?

Reactions: omidomi

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
FortiClient is very good, the downside is lack of 0-day protection. If you wanna use FortiClient you should use it with Private Firewall / Comodo Firewall.

Reactions: XhenEd

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Although FortiClient at one time had a decent Firewall included, it was removed a few years ago.

As to the current product all I can say is that whenever I want to demonstrate how poor a definition based security solution can be, FortiClient always comes to mind first.

Reactions: XhenEd

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
FortiClient = very good malicious URL protection and just basic other protection.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I used Forticlient on my old XP pc for some years now, and I have to say that it is very decent and light. It is actually one of the very few antivirus solutions that does not slow down this old pc. Also the firewall was very good and you were able to configure it for every app you have on your pc, but they removed it since version 5 I think. It is now only available if you buy the product.
Although it lacks a good zero-day module (apart from the heuristics) it is still very good. It did some test with it a while ago and it always stopped lots of treaths, even if they were quite new it did well if you know that it only relies on signatures. As somebody mentioned above, it indeed stops adware, but I think that you have to enable it in the settings. You can also upload samples and they are added to the database really quick. The only bad thing is that the database is quite large, so the first update can be very slow.
Probably the best feature in the product is the web protection which definitely deserves more popularity, since it blocks malware and phishing pages very well. I've tested it with lots of new links, and it almost stopped every bad url. The web protection can also be used as a kind of a parent control, because it is as already mentioned above, highly configurable and has lots of site categories to block.
Although it is a very simple product, and it lacks some zero day component, it can be indeed very effective in combination with comodo firewall or something similar.
If you search something else than the popular free av's or need something that is light on resources, it is definitely worth trying, but in combination with something else.

Reactions: Av Gurus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.