Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Foxit Software has released patches for dozens of high-severity flaws impacting its PDF reader and editor platforms. The most severe of the bugs, which exist on Windows versions of the software, enable a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on vulnerable systems.

Overall, Foxit Software patched flaws tied to 20 CVEs in Foxit Reader and Foxit PhantomPDF (versions 9.7.1.29511 and earlier) for Windows. Foxit Reader is popular PDF software – with a user base of over 500 million for its free version – that provides tools for creating, signing and securing PDF files. PhantomPDF, meanwhile, enables users to convert different file formats to PDF. In addition to millions users for its branded software, major corporations as Amazon, Google,and Microsoft license Foxit Software technology, opening up its threat landscape even more.

“There are several bugs that could result in remote code execution [RCE],” Dustin Childs, manager at Trend Micro’s Zero Day Initiative (ZDI), told Threatpost. “All of these should be considered critical.”

The high-severity flaws in Foxit Reader enable RCE; they are fixed in Foxit Reader version 9.7.2. In an attack scenario for these flaws, “user interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability in that the target must visit a malicious page or open a malicious file,” according to a Trend Micro ZDI vulnerability analysis.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Andy recommend Adobe Touch App from Windows store which runs fully as AppContainer. (y)

Reactions: DDE_Server

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
is this update distributed/ released via Foxit updater as i the latest version i have is still V 9.7.1.29511
1587413356136.png

and there is no newer version when i check for updates:
1587413449544.png

The newer version is available only during manual download from official site:
for reader version: https://cdn09.foxitsoftware.com/pro...C4FBBE3B3C1/FoxitReader972_enu_Setup_Prom.exe

CyberPanther

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
is this update distributed/ released via Foxit updater as i the latest version i have is still V 9.7.1.29511
View attachment 237816
and there is no newer version when i check for updates:
View attachment 237817

The newer version is available only during manual download from official site:
for reader version: https://cdn09.foxitsoftware.com/pro...C4FBBE3B3C1/FoxitReader972_enu_Setup_Prom.exe

Kindly note that I am using Foxit Phantom and the software version I have is different.

Annotation 2020-04-20 233616.png

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
BTW, i'm using PDF X-change editor because it's the only one i know with free OCR. Do you know any other?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.