Troubleshoot FoxPro v1.02 database problem following computer crash?

mitrywing

Thread author
Aug 27, 2015
I have a twenty-year-old British CRM program called ProAction which I use daily and do not want to give up as it continues to be very useful indeed. It uses FoxPro version 1.02 and runs on a Windows XP SP3 desktop. (My “other car”

is a Windows 8 64-bit laptop, BTW, which is why I can’t use ProAction on the more modern OS.)

As you will have guessed, the program is no longer supported so I am asking for your advice on how to recover database files following the XP computer’s crash.

What has happened and what I have done about it is as follows:

1. On loading the program, I got a “Not a database” error message.

This had also happened many years ago, and I was given verbal support and told to use one of the files which come with the program, and it worked. Now, having stupidly lost my notes (if I ever made any), I took a guess and used FOXFIX.EXE which seemed the obvious one. This simply opens a command screen which asks if I want to overwrite FOXFIX.001. Whether you answer yes or no, nothing happens.

2. I bought DBF Recovery Toolbox and ran it.

It “recovered” a number of *.dbf files (but not others). I renamed the old *.dbf files and replaced them with the new ones.

Now, on starting the program I get “Record is not in index” message. If you continue,
“Database is not indexed. Cancel/Ignore” comes up.

If you choose “Ignore”, the message says “Error 26 in program ON…” [new line] “Database is not indexed.” (twice). “Details have been recorded.”

3. For info, the “obvious” FoxPro files which came with the program are:
FOX.FIX.001
FOXFIX.EXE
FOXFIX.FIP
FOXFIX.FXP
FOXHELP.DBF
FOXLAN.BAT
FOXPRORT.OVL
FOXPRORT.RSC

Please forgive the length of this message but I hope it gives you – who has so kindly read this far – as clear an idea of what the situation is as possible. Do please let me know if you need more info.

What would be your suggestion, please, (apart from getting a new program, of course, which would mean a huge loss of data)? Can I use any of the files listed above, for example?

I need hardly say that any advice would be very gratefully received.

horigommike

Aug 27, 2015
Whether or not you are able to recover, I suggest that you search for geek type help on translating your database (s?) to a current supported [modern]database. I barely remember FoxPro (I'm 76) but I remember where I worked in 1998 some coworkers talking about the trouble in translating FoxPro to a different db (probably the current Microsoft one).

I just Googled FoxPro and the first response was called "End of Life" trying to sell you a conversion. It said "Does Visual FoxPro’s end-of-life mean the end of
your software applications built on it?" and asked you to call them. I know nothing about this company (FoxPro Convert, a Ticomix company).
How to open dbf file ?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.