Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Relax! We've got a (server-knackering) workaround to sort things out, says Microsoft

Microsoft says its implementation of SSL/TLS in all versions of Windows is vulnerable to the FREAKencryption-downgrade attack.

This means if you're using Windows, an attacker on your network can potentially force Internet Explorer and other software using the Windows Secure Channel component to use weak encryption over the web.

Intercepted HTTPS connections can be easily cracked, revealing sensitive details such as login cookies and banking information, but only if the website or service at the other end is still supporting 1990s-era cryptography (and millions of sites still are).

"Microsoft is aware of a security feature bypass vulnerability in Secure Channel (Schannel) that affects all supported releases of Microsoft Windows," Redmond says in an advisory.

"Our investigation has verified that the vulnerability could allow an attacker to force the downgrading of the cipher suites used in an SSL/TLS connection on a Windows client system.

"When this security advisory was originally released, Microsoft had not received any information to indicate that this issue had been publicly used to attack customers."

The bug (CVE-2015-1637) in Windows' Secure Channel component is not thought to be under active attack by eavesdroppers at the time of writing.

The FREAK (Factoring attack on RSA-EXPORT Keys) mess revealed this week allows bad guys to decrypt login cookies and other sensitive information from HTTPS connections to vulnerable browsers.

Redmond is pushing out details of defensive mechanisms through its Microsoft Active Protections Program. It offers imperfect workarounds including changing of the registry in Server 2003 to disable vulnerable key exchange ciphers which it warns could cause "serious problems".

Read more: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/06/all_microsoft_windows_versions_vulnerable_to_freak/

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
"Chrome for Windows and all versions of Firefox are known to be safe. However, even if your browser is safe, certain third-party software, including some anti-virus products and adware programs, can expose you to the attack by intercepting TLS connections from the browser. If you are using a safe browser but our client test says you’re vulnerable, this is a likely cause.

In addition to browsers, many mobile apps, embedded systems, and other software products also use TLS. These are also potentially vulnerable if they rely on unpatched libraries or offer RSA_EXPORT cipher suites."

You can check whether your browser is vulnerable using FREAK Client Test Tool.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Funny how this stuff works...
Chrome and Firefox are crapping themselves over WebRTC/superfish etc... but not IE.
IE/Microsoft are crapping themselves over FREAK... but not Chrome or Firefox.

IT BEGS THE QUESTION. Is Edward Snowden a tool for the paranoia bandwagon? It smells of convenience...
IE/SlimJet
IE_SJ.jpg

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
No, I think Edward Snowden has done a lot of good - it has opened my eyes to what my UK Government is actively doing. In Internet Options, under Advanced you can disable SSL 3.0 or SSL 2.0 so you force the browser to only use TLS.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
No, I think Edward Snowden has done a lot of good - it has opened my eyes to what my UK Government is actively doing. In Internet Options, under Advanced you can disable SSL 3.0 or SSL 2.0 so you force the browser to only use TLS.
Yep, I have only TLS ticked... also, as a side note... my VPN called TLS 1.0 the new SSL 3.

For some reason I think you work for Emsisoft... what's going on?! hahaha

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
You guys are funny. :D

"As for how dangerous FREAK actually is, the practical risk appears to be relatively low. The greater problem is what FREAK represents. It’s a flaw that only exists because governments attempted to mandate weak cryptography in the mistaken belief that it could retain control of security standards for the “good” guys without handing bad guys additional flaws or attack vectors. The fact that the problem has existed, undetected, for over a decade suggests that groups like the NSA and other security agencies could well have exploited it in targeted attacks –and these are precisely the kinds of threats that the NSA is supposed to be capable of guarding against."

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...t-explorer-windows-vulnerable-to-freak-attack

Its been known cypher 512-bit could be cracked since 2002
Here and article from 2002 talking about it. :cool:
http://www.geek.com/news/512-bit-keys-cracked-in-6-weeks-549618/

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
"Chrome for Windows and all versions of Firefox are known to be safe. However, even if your browser is safe, certain third-party software, including some anti-virus products and adware programs, can expose you to the attack by intercepting TLS connections from the browser. If you are using a safe browser but our client test says you’re vulnerable, this is a likely cause.

In addition to browsers, many mobile apps, embedded systems, and other software products also use TLS. These are also potentially vulnerable if they rely on unpatched libraries or offer RSA_EXPORT cipher suites."

You can check whether your browser is vulnerable using FREAK Client Test Tool.

Is this a verifiable safe site?

Reactions: tallorder
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.