Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Norton IS

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artemis

Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Is free software can be better than a paid product? Is this possible?
For forum.safegroup.pl tested three anti-virus applications: 2 Paid (McAfee and Norton Internet Security) and ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall. Which one is the best?
Have a look here: test.

On-demand Scan:

irNPaaWjYZpWe.png

3 programs vs. Live security click.
AV vs. Ransom click.

Cfnna.png

According to you whether it is worth paying for anti-virus software?

D

Deleted member 178

I used both free and paid products, both category has very good solutions, in fact all depend on personal taste (GUI, speed, lightness, etc...)

I used to use Comodo IS (free) then i switched to ESET NOD 32 + Emsisoft AM + Online Armor Premium (all of them paid, but i gained them via giveaways).

It doesn't mean that paid are better, just that my taste at the moment goes to paid products.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Will have to go with Norton, for the reason is that is has a very reputable file scan and it's light. Never have tried ZoneAlarm, but as for McAfee, it's another great suite, but a bit heavy.

Totally up to you though.

D

Deleted member 178

Artemis said:
Umbra Corp, Why do you prefer Nod+ Emsi from Comodo?

Comodo IS :

- AV (medium detection rate, include cloud)
- Firewall (very good)
- HIPS ( very good but must be tweaked)
- Auto-Sandbox (policy based)
- Manual sandbox (full virtualization, but keep some leftovers)

Emsi pack (EAM + OAP)

- AV (High detection rate, can be companion)
- BB (in fact Mamutu behavior blocker, include cloud)
- Host blocker
- Email protection
- Firewall (very good, has graphic firewall module, easy to see the connections )
- HIPS (very good, no need tweakings, distinct anti-logger/file & registry/autorun shield, banking mode, domain manager, linked to EAM cloud)
- Policy-based restriction module (similar as comodo auto-sandbox)
- Web filter

NOD32:

- AV (very light, high detection rate, include cloud)
- HIPS (good, but i disabled it)
- Web filter & anti-phising (good)
- Removable device protection (many tweaks, not just an autorun-disabler)
- Protocol filter
- Email protection
- many tools

now i think you understand my choice :D

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
As I was starting to get serious with security, my quest (for my type of layered security and from joining forums) made me learn that freeware combinations can match the performance/security comfiness that paid versions/suite gives.

Take the case of AvastFree which do not have the AvastPro/IS Virtualization Sandbox, SafeZone browser. To have a sandbox you can use either SBIE/BufferzonePro or CIS's free sandbox. For the firewall I have paired AvastFree with either OAfree/CIS with D+ or Privatefirewall. So to me,

AvastFree + SBIE free + Comodo/OAfree + MBAM (on-demand) = Avast IS + MBAM (on-demand)

Same can also be gained with,

Avira Personal + SBIE free + OAFree/Comodo + SuperantispywareFree/MBAM free (on-demand) = Avira IS 2012

Those 2 freeware combination I always return when I do not have a paid AV/suite in hand. Even recommended to friends that combination and it made them happy and contented. Some never did return to a suite and just stayed on with freeware. For a time I even had the PrevxSafeonline facebook freeware added to give added security for keyloggers/screenloggers.

But paid products have some additional benefits/options/features. To name a few, Avast IS's SafeZone browser of Avast IS, KIS 2012's SafeRun for Applications/Websites/Virtual Keyboard/Parental Control, Eset Smart Security's Parental Control/Gamer Mode.

On OAfree you cannot import the settings that you have made once you uninstall/install it. You'd have to set it all over again. Unlike the OA Premium which if you want during installation you can just import a saved-working setting. Exclusions list also is on the premium version only. When using OA either free or Premium I seldom use SBIE because it has RunSafer.

If ease of use is to be tops then a suite is better. It's all there and setup is a breeze. If the user does not mind the clutter of having additional apps to complete/be at par with a suite then freeware is sufficient. It is a matter of preference really.

Personally and if I have the money to spare I'd go for the paid version hands down. But I always keep a freeware combination in a separate partition to see if such is at par when I encounter a virus/malware. I always check it if that combination can intercept such. But some that I rely on and will always have in tow are CIS free, AvastFree/AviraPersonal, SBIEfree,MBAM free

Same as with the selection above. If I had money I'd go with Norton. If not then ZoneAlarm is okay(though it's been years since I have tried ZoneAlarm).

P

Plexx

On a side note, you cannot compare avast's firewall with Comodo's firewall.

The only downfall sometimes of combos is the fact that can be a bit more heavier than running a suite.

An example: ESET IS is way lighter than Avira Personal + OA Free

Another thing: Comodo also offers Gamer Mode.

What you will find in some paid suites is Backup options, Parental Control, Firewall (if they have an AV version), Web Protection (Dr Web being the prime example) etc.

Paid vs Free: depends what the user is looking for.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
On the basis of the selection above it will be Norton IS. Norton is a tried and tested through the years. On free, personally have not used Zonealarm since 2006....I also had some combinations of pure freeware. Even tried something similar as mentioned. They are:

A:

Realtime protection
-Avira free
-Comodo IS with D+ (AV not installed)
-SpyShelterFree(HIPS/System Protection disabled)
-Sandboxie

On-demand
-Malwarebytes free
-Hitmanpro free

----

B:

Realtime protection
-Avast free
-Online Armor free

On-demand
-Malwarebytes free
-Hitmanpro free

---

C:

Realtime protection
-Avast free
-SpyShelterFree(HIPS/System Protection disabled)
-Sandboxie

On-demand
-Malwarebytes free
-VirusTotal Uploader

---

D:

Realtime protection
-Panda free
-Keyscrambler free
-Sandboxie

On-demand
-Malwarebytes free
-VirusTotal Uploader

For free AV my choice becuase of detection is Avira free close 2nd is AvastFree. Did not like Panda at all. Firewall is a hands-down Comodo although you's have to do some tweaking in D+. Can't wait to try version 6 with full virtualization! SpyShelter free was great. Keyscrambler very limited. On-demand scanner is and always will be Malwarebytes free. HitmanPro was fast as it scanned online effectively but removal was not included so it was Malwarebytes or the AV of choice which did the removal/quarantine.

For paid security suites I have tried:

-Norton IS 2012 (only 60 days and was surprised it was light!)
-KIS 2012 (firewall does not stealth but not a problem as long as closed + stealth combo and no open ports, actually am using it now!)
-Eset Smart Security ver5(did not like the firewall, HIPS was noisy)
-Avast Internet Security(liked SafeZone and Sandbox, decent firewall but like Comodo better)
-Avira Internet Security 2012 (did not like ProActive/Backup, decent firewall but like Comodo better)
-Trend Micro Titanium IS (system got sluggish removed it after a week)

Paid versions are feature rich also. It depends on the user how he wants it.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Zonealarm 's problem is its quite heavy....... tried to scan with it some weeks ago, and memory using went up to 384-400MB..... its using kaspersky engine, that time kaspersky2013 was not released though, no idea how its reacts now...... i talked about kaspersky2013 because i felt its quite lite than kaspersky2012......

Or kaspersky versions does not matter with zonealarm free ???

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Artemis said:
What do you think of McAfee?

Well, I think in the test that I did, it did great and performed great. The only thing like other people have said is the interface needs a big face lift and they need to cut down on system resources.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.