Free Online Storage Services

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I would like to start using a free online backup services.
So far I've noticed this two :
  1. Dropbox
    • Dropbox Free Features
    • 2GB of Dropbox for free, with subscriptions up to 100GB available.
    • Your files are always available from the secure Dropbox website.
    • Dropbox works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.
    • Works even when offline. You always have your files, whether or not you have a connection.
    • Dropbox transfers just the parts of a file that change (not the whole thing).
    • Manually set bandwidth limits -- Dropbox won't hog your connection.
  2. ADrive’s Basic
    • Basic Plan Features:
    • Universal Access
    • 50GB Storage Capacity (per account)
    • File Sharing
    • Folder/Directory Upload
    • File Download
    • Easy Search Tool
    • Remote File Transfer
    • International Character Support
    • Zoho® Editor

Did you used ADrive or Dropbox?Can you give some Pros and Cons?Do you know any other free online storage services?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have not used any of them before but I have used Skydrive Powered by MSN, Hotmail. If I wanted to start using them again I would use ADrive.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
One reason for not using Dropbox would be their Privacy policy who was modified in April 2011 and now it says that :
We may disclose to parties outside Dropbox files stored in your Dropbox and information about you that we collect when we have a good faith believe that disclose is reasonably necessary."

Also I've found this services :

SpiderOak

• Access all your data in one de-duplicated location
  • Configurable multi-platform synchronization
  • Preserve all historical versions & deleted files
  • Share folders instantly in web ShareRooms w / RSS
  • Retrieve files from any internet-connected device
  • Comprehensive 'zero-knowledge' data encryption
  • 2 GBs Free / $10 per 100 GBs / Unlimited devices

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
SkyDrive is also a good choice, I used it before to save a few documents since I ran out of space in my USB Drive,

Pafborg

Level 1
May 13, 2011
I've never used any of this kind of services. Maybe I'm just oldfashioned, but I feel more safe having things on usb external drives. Of course the result is I never have my pc (home and work) synchronized...

V

Vextor

I use Dropbox. It's free and has perfect synchronization over PC's and phones, which is really convenient. I also got extra GB, first by doing a Dropbox puzzle (really nice of them), and using a referrer code from MrXidus. If you do, you can check out his video on it. If you share your referrer code with somebody, both you and them get the extra space.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I have an account at DropBox, 9GB space and not 1MB used because I'm waiting for Australia's upload speed to increase, At the moment it
is just too slow and makes using these online services a hassle. I'm good for storage at the moment as I have a External HDD. :cool:

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I use Dropbox with a 50gb plan, and i don't regret it.
It makes file sharing so much easier, for example my "study" group use it to share notes and papers that we have to turn in. I can also send pictures to friends and relatives without having to send something in the mail, or big chunky e-mails. That is a big plus for me.
I have my music library in it so that i can listen to music on strange computers.
I also use it for backup. Dropbox comes with version history so if i accidentally delete, or otherwise brake some i can easily recover it.

(i should be a salesman :) )

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Dropbox is also available for Linux users. Another feature that I like is that previous versions of files are kept. If some ransomware decides to encrypt your files you don't need to wary.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
IDrive:

• You start with 5BG free but you can get an extra of 10 GB of space for free by referring contacts.
  • 128bit SSL encrypted connection between IDrive client and their servers.
  • Data is stored encrypted on their servers and only the user has the key.
  • File-versioning: IDrive retains and allows you to restore the last 30 versions of all files backed up to your account.
  • Continuous Data Protection (CDP): The feature automatically recognizes the changes made to the files/ folders (up to 500 MB in size) in the Backup set and backs them up in real-time. (Disabled by default).
  • Can manage files/backups using the website too.
  • You can backup any folder on your HDD.
  • iPhone app available (I never used it though).
  • And more...

+ I like the fact that they store the data as encrypted and that they do not handle the encryption keys. In fact this is the problem with Dropbox. They do encrypt your data but they also have the encryption key. So they can decrypt your data at any time (if a governmental agency asks them, for example). Even if their internal policy prevents their own employees to access your data you should know that this is actually possible.
+ Another important aspect for me is the reliability of the company. I don't want to host my files on their servers only to find out the next day that the company doesn't exist anymore. IDrive seems to be a well known and reputable company.
- With IDrive the speed was slower (for me) than while using Dropbox and their client software could be lighter on resources.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Never heard of this one before I might give it a go. Nice find. ;)

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Slightly off topic but enough on topic I felt it worth a mention... I use Opera Unite which allows me to host files, a web server, media server and many other things so I can utilize this in the same fashion pretty much, completely free and I am on total control of the sharing and content, beats any of the on-line storage/file sharing the way I see it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With Opera Unite, the web browser has to be running on your computer, if you want to access the services it provides while away.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
stormgtr said:
With Opera Unite, the web browser has to be running on your computer, if you want to access the services it provides while away.

And? For some people this is not an issue, I leave the PC on 24/7 anyways so for me this is the best option, many others are likely to share that opinion, there are obviously pros and cons to everything buddy. :cool:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know, I was just saying. :L

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I use Wuala.

Features:

What is Wuala
Wuala is secure online storage, a haven in the cloud to store your files. You can safely access and share your files with friends, family, and co-workers.

Security & Privacy
Wuala is the place for storing data with security in mind. In order to protect your privacy, Wuala encrypts the data on your computer before it is uploaded. During the upload, your data is split up into many different pieces and stored in multiple places to make certain that you never lose a single file. For added security your password is never transmitted, which means that no one - not even the employees at Wuala - can see your private files.

Backup & Versioning
Don't ever worry again about losing your vacation pictures, your music collection or your end of term paper. With Wuala Backup you can rest assure that your digital life is safe. In case you need to access previous versions of files, or have accidentally deleted a file on your desktop, Wuala lets you restore it, saving you time and stress. [Wuala lets you go back in time to view old versions of files, and deleted files.]

Sync
Keep your files in sync with just one click. If you're on the go and add a file to your Wuala Sync folder, the file will automatically appear on all of your computers, edits on your home computer will instantly appear on your work computer. Your files are always up to date, anywhere at anytime.

Store & Access
Access your files from any computer with an Internet connection, wherever you are. Now, you can manage files with your own secure Wuala account at home and at work. Store documents, presentations, images, or media files - anything you want, no matter the file size or format. Wuala's intuitive interface also makes online slideshows easy, allowing you to select the size of your photos for family and friends.

Instead of emailing files, share documents, photos, and media directly from your Wuala account. Using our simple filing system, share folders with fellow members of Wuala or send links to your contacts that have yet to join. Links can be accessed immediately - with no registration required.

Collaborate
Business Groups are great for businesses, associations, communities or teams who want to store their files in one central and secure location. Private and Public Groups count the used storage for uploaded files to an individual account, while Business Groups allow you and your team to share an amount of storage together. Simply share data with colleagues and co-workers in one Business Group, edit documents or leave a comment. Get ready to collaborate in a new way.

Trade or Buy
You get 1 GB to start with. If you need more, we offer two ways to get additional storage: trading or buying. Our award-winning technology lets you exchange unused storage on your computer for more storage on Wuala. If you prefer not to trade, you can purchase as much additional capacity on Wuala as you need, using one of our competitive and popularly priced storage plans.

A video for each feature is available here: http://www.wuala.com/en/learn/features

MT Wuala thread here.

I really like it. If you want to start with 2GB free instead of one, use my referral link (helps me get some extra space). Of course, you can buy more storage or trade your unused free HDD space for more too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.