Free & Open Source Screen Recorder for Android

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As an Xperia user, I was disappointed when I learned that Sony removed this functionality in newer Android Xperia phones. After searching on the Google Play Store, I was not happy with my choices, the reviewers complained about Ads in Free version (DU Screen Recorder, AZ Screen Recorder etc.), cashgrab.

Later I decided to look on F-Droid [About | F-Droid is a robot with a passion for Free and Open Source (FOSS) software on the Android platform.] and came across ScreenCam, I installed the APK.

I've only managed to use it once so far, but am impressed with the results. My wishlist would be to have a permanent notification icon whilst app is running, or at least during recording, to allow users to stop recording rather than opening app and stop recording.

If you want to try it, the download links are below. Plus No Ads!

ScreenCam

ScreenCam doesn't need any root access to record your screen and works on all phones with Android Lollipop 5.0 and above. You can also record audio along with the screen recording and get it beautifully combined with the recorded video.

Choose from different resolutions, frames per second and bitrate for the best choice of quality and size of the video or make use of the app shortcut in android 7.1 nougat or in any custom launcher supporting app shortcuts.

You can also pause or resume the recording seamlessly (currently only works on Android Nougat 7.0 and above) and an option to change the save directory.

Later I learnt it was available on the Google Play Store

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.