Advice Request Free/Robust Corporate Backup Software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I'm working with a client right now that is using Clonezilla for nearly all of their corporate backup needs as far as backup of the disk/clone(s) are concerned. The company has NetApp for backing up network drives and various other things, but they would like to complete full disk backups/clones in case a NVME/SSD/HDD were to go bad or if other things would happen to the host OS. The company has less than 700 endpoints at the moment. Business is doing really good, but they don't want to fork out a ton of money so they are wanting to go for something free and also fairly robust.

They have plenty of space for the images to be put onto a network drive and replicated from there onto tape (yes they use tape and it is fairly "fool proof" and secure). I know of a lot of clients going back to tape in case their cloud backup resources got hacked or ransomware would spread.

Any suggestions?

My thought process:

*AOMEI Backuppper Standard - can be used in a corporate environment and I'm super familiar with the software already so training them to use it will be easy. The UI is already very easy to use. I can easily help them in organizing out the network drive for them to store the images one. Compression (to save on disk space) is amazing.

Link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

*Veeam Free - seems quite interesting. I personally have not used this technology as of yet, but I have hard good things from respectable Sys Admins and Network Administrators alike.

Link: Free Windows Backup for Endpoints, Servers, Desktops - Veeam Agent for Windows

Note: I'm not too keen on EaseUS products for various reasons... I know some of you who know me know why I'm not keen on EaseUS products.

Thanks for any and all advise and suggestions! I know Veeam has a partnership with NetApp as well, but with that aside please let me know your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Brian

Hello Everyone,

I'm working with a client right now that is using Clonezilla for nearly all of their corporate backup needs as far as backup of the disk/clone(s) are concerned. The company has NetApp for backing up network drives and various other things, but they would like to complete full disk backups/clones in case a NVME/SSD/HDD were to go bad or if other things would happen to the host OS. The company has less than 700 endpoints at the moment. Business is doing really good, but they don't want to fork out a ton of money so they are wanting to go for something free and also fairly robust.

They have plenty of space for the images to be put onto a network drive and replicated from there onto tape (yes they use tape and it is fairly "fool proof" and secure). I know of a lot of clients going back to tape in case their cloud backup resources got hacked or ransomware would spread.

Any suggestions?

My thought process:

*AOMEI Backuppper Standard - can be used in a corporate environment and I'm super familiar with the software already so training them to use it will be easy. The UI is already very easy to use. I can easily help them in organizing out the network drive for them to store the images one. Compression (to save on disk space) is amazing.

Link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

*Veeam Free - seems quite interesting. I personally have not used this technology as of yet, but I have hard good things from respectable Sys Admins and Network Administrators alike.

Link: Free Windows Backup for Endpoints, Servers, Desktops - Veeam Agent for Windows

Note: I'm not too keen on EaseUS products for various reasons... I know some of you who know me know why I'm not keen on EaseUS products.

Thanks for any and all advise and suggestions! I know Veeam has a partnership with NetApp as well, but with that aside please let me know your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Brian

For that many workstations they need centrally managed backup solution. And they ain't getting it unless they pay for it.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
For that many workstations they need centrally managed backup solution. And they ain't getting it unless they pay for it.

This is true. However, they want one IT guy to tigger off the backups for the computers every so often. Can you think of anything good paid/free?

Edit: The company already uses NetApp to back up documents in network drives, and on the desktops of the end-users. They want more of a fail safe like a drive clone.

This is true. However, they want one IT guy to tigger off the backups for the computers every so often. Can you think of anything good paid/free?

Edit: The company already uses NetApp to back up documents in network drives, and on the desktops of the end-users. They want more of a fail safe like a drive clone.

Windows Backup

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

There's probably some cobbled-together solution out there, however I'm not aware of it. You'll just have to dig deep online. Seems to me they should look into Windows Backup. However, I think it cannot be centrally managed. Without central management the admin is going to be doing amateur night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
The first thing to think about is what backups you want to make: differential or incremental.

If you choose incremental, Aomei Backup is enough and if you prefer differential, I would go with Macriun Reflect.

Other very good (free) options would be Veeam or Easeus

However, if you want a giveaway of a paid backup for free, you have Get Backup4all Lite 7 for FREE!

OK... this involves backup across 700 workstations in a commercial environment. Home user backup solutions like AOMEI free, EaseUs free, Macrium free, etc aren't going to work.

It's gonna be amateur night if the single admin has to setup backup on each system individually... which is precisely what will have to be done without central management.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
OK... this involves backup across 700 workstations in a commercial environment. Home user backup solutions like AOMEI free, EaseUs free, Macrium free, etc aren't going to work.

It's gonna be amateur night if the single admin has to setup backup on each system individually... which is precisely what will have to be done without central management.

Finally got them to relize how much time they will be spending on getting a "free solution" working vs. a paid solution. Now they are opening up their pocket books a bit. Anyone got some good PAID solutions that they like most for a medium size business?

Finally got them to relize how much time they will be spending on getting a "free solution" working vs. a paid solution. Now they are opening up their pocket books a bit. Anyone got some good PAID solutions that they like most for a medium size business?

You gotta get competitive quotes from different products. You can't go buy online prices. For example, something like Macrium will be $26,500 using the online pricing. Besides, they just can buy something based upon price. They need to pick from what has been demo'd and trialed.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Oh indeed they will @Lockdown . I'm the guy that gets the deals and closes the deals. I cannot remember the last time I payed full price for anything... hahah In all honesty too!

I like to work with developers and software companies to get what is best for a given company and shore up the shortfalls of what the company is lacking in. Demos and Trials are great for these purposes. There are so many to choose from though. I'm trying to help them narrow down the field a bit.

Anyone trust the centralized backup of AOMEI for business? I use the PRO version for my home clients, but there is a massive sale occurring for businesses right now too.

Reactions: upnorth

Oh indeed they will @Lockdown . I'm the guy that gets the deals and closes the deals. I cannot remember the last time I payed full price for anything... hahah In all honesty too!

I like to work with developers and software companies to get what is best for a given company and shore up the shortfalls of what the company is lacking in. Demos and Trials are great for these purposes. There are so many to choose from though. I'm trying to help them narrow down the field a bit.

Anyone trust the centralized backup of AOMEI for business? I use the PRO version for my home clients, but there is a massive sale occurring for businesses right now too.

When it comes to backup, the two people to ask are TheRollbackFrog and Peter2150. They're most over at Wilders.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.