Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Sophos Home (currently in beta) protects every Mac and PC in your home from malicious software, inappropriate websites and viruses.
It uses the same award-winning technology that IT professionals trust to protect their business systems. Best of all, you can manage security settings for the whole family from any browser.
Please note that this free version of Sophos Home is for private and non-commercial use, letting you protect up to ten computers per account.
If you would like to use Sophos in a business, commercial, or government organization, we invite you to try
Sophos Cloud for free here.

===================================================================================

I installed on virtual machine and here are myfirst expressions:

Installation file are 15MB
Installation take about 15-20min
Interface is simple , clean and basic - everything is on web and settings through the browser
RAM usage about 240MB

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg Clipboard03.jpg Clipboard04.jpg Clipboard05.jpg Clipboard06.jpg

Here are some detection pictures

m1.jpg m2.jpg

Last edited:

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Is it only antivirus and not contain any firewall?
RAM consumption less than bitdefender

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Do you have a link to the webpage of this program?:)

When I search "Sophos Home" on google, I can only find the home edition of Sophos UTM.

Is there any proactive protection?

I have the same question.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I have not tried this free version, but I think it may be a common practice of antivirus vendors to remove some useful features from their free versions.
Endpoint protection is free too for home UTM users! You are allowed to install it on 10 pcs. :)

Reactions: Online_Sword

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
thanks for sharing, to those who wanna try this keep this in mind that it wont install if you have any other AV installed on your machine.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Install it in a VM, register the appliance, download installer and remember the admin password then delete the VM = unlimited installations without any UTM. Don't tell anyone! :D
So, this is your trick to get XG firewall? nice move, mate ;)

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Sophos Home (currently in beta) protects every Mac and PC in your home from malicious software, inappropriate websites and viruses.
It uses the same award-winning technology that IT professionals trust to protect their business systems. Best of all, you can manage security settings for the whole family from any browser.
Please note that this free version of Sophos Home is for private and non-commercial use, letting you protect up to ten computers per account.
If you would like to use Sophos in a business, commercial, or government organization, we invite you to try
Sophos Cloud for free here.

===================================================================================

I installed on virtual machine and here are myfirst expressions:

Installation file are 15MB
Installation take about 15-20min
Interface is simple , clean and basic - everything is on web and settings through the browser
RAM usage about 240MB

View attachment 76977 View attachment 76978 View attachment 76979 View attachment 76980 View attachment 76981 View attachment 76982

Here are some detection pictures

View attachment 76983 View attachment 76984
Is it worth it? Then I would uninstall Avast ;)

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
So, this is your trick to get XG firewall? nice move, mate ;)
XG sadly doesn't have the endpoint management, they moved it to their "cloud" based management system. So if you want to try this, you have to install the UTM version. Also the firewall has to be installed on a dedicated system/hyperisor, otherwise it won't be all that useful.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.