Advice Request Free VPN's For Torrenting?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Wouldn't use a free VPN for torrenting because most of them keep logs on users. If you're not paying for anything, you are the product.
There if you want to subscribe to a VPN provider there are plenty of lists out there comparing the various VPNs.
Some notable ones are
PIA
Cyberghost
Windscribe
PureVPN
ExpressVPN

All of them have specific VPN servers for torrenting, which basically means that their servers are in countries that have strict privacy laws that make it harder for the government to compel them to release information regarding user data. Most of them also keep no logs on users so even if they are required to, there is no information they can provide to the government.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comprehensive answer on Reddit, see quote below.
Best VPN for torrenting? • /r/Piracy
Any VPN that claims it doesn't log will be fine for torenting, and i'd suggest using one anyway. You can't really trust any of them (anyone who says you can is either a fool or lying) but for torrenting alone they aren't going to risk exposing that they do track users. Further, you can be certain your ISP will log everything, at least with a VPN there's a possibility that they don''t.

• Of course not paying with a credit card and using BTC or top up card will be more anonymous. For the purposes of just torenting it's unnecessary, but it's up to you just how anonymous you want to be. I have two VPN accounts, one prepaid and one with a credit card.

• I wouldn't trust anyone's VPN recommendations, nor make my own. Everyone seems to favour the one they use, and generally give unsubstantiatable reasons for it. Some research and you'll find the VPNs that have been exposed as liars (such as HideMyASs) (This is a start)[Which VPN Providers Take Your Anonymity Seriously? - TorrentFreak] as is /r/vpn but of course don't take my word for it.

• A VPN is another connection between you and the internet. Of course it can't speed up your internet connection. But if your torrents were throttled it may speed those up. Speed changes probably won't be that bad with the right VPN.

• A VPN, properly set up, will prevent your ISP seeing what you are doing online. They will only see an encrypted connection to your VPN's address. (of course this assumes that SSL is safe). You should stop getting emails. This DOES NOT mean that no one can see what you are doing, only possibly. THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTE METHODS OF ANONYMITY AND PRIVACY.

• Just as with your ISP, your university network will not see what you are browsing or torrenting (if your VPN is set up correctly and all traffic and requests pass through them). Only that you have an encrypted connection to an address.

In my opinion, I would use PeerBlock + client of choice. Why do you need a VPN to torrent Ubuntu ISO?

Forum Rules | malwaretips.com

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Maybe try vpngate softether client. I think that's free.

Otherwise you wont find a good free vpn. Free= data mining and selling your web history to other companies.

AB David

Level 1
Mar 19, 2018
Wouldn't use a free VPN for torrenting because most of them keep logs on users. If you're not paying for anything, you are the product.
There if you want to subscribe to a VPN provider there are plenty of lists out there comparing the various VPNs.
Some notable ones are
PIA
Cyberghost
Windscribe
PureVPN
ExpressVPN

All of them have specific VPN servers for torrenting, which basically means that their servers are in countries that have strict privacy laws that make it harder for the government to compel them to release information regarding user data. Most of them also keep no logs on users so even if they are required to, there is no information they can provide to the government.

Agreed! Avoid free vpns specially for torrenting. I use Express VPN, which is not free but you can get a 30 day trial if you look around. While it is a little bit more expensive than over VPN services, I find that it works brilliantly for streaming video which has been geo blocked and for torrenting due to dedicated servers. Nord, PIA are also good options and they are also less expensive.

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
Try checking out ExpressVPN, although this VPN is not entirely free, but it offers a 30-day money back guarantee. It is easy to use and install and can connect to over 90 countries. Also, because it has an excellent speed, unlimited data and bandwidth, and servers for torrents makes it my top choice VPN for torrenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.