Question is vpn important? need i keep the vpn on all the time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ForgottenSeer 123795
  • Start date Start date
VPN and DNS
23 Replies 3,265 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.
If privacy is a top priority, keeping it on is a smart move. But if you're gaming, downloading large files, or just browsing casually at home, you can toggle it off for speed.

Reasons to keep it on:
  • Privacy protection: Encrypts your data and hides your IP from ISPs, trackers, and hackers
  • Public Wi-Fi safety: Essential when using cafés, airports, or hotels
  • Streaming access: Helps bypass geo-blocks and throttling
  • Consistent anonymity: Keeps your browsing habits private 24/7
When you might turn it off:
  • Speed issues: VPNs can slow down your connection slightly, especially on distant servers
  • Battery drain: On mobile devices, constant VPN use may reduce battery life
  • Trusted networks: If you're on a secure home network and doing non-sensitive tasks, you might temporarily disable it
In my opinion, ProtonVPN is the best VPN as it have an unlimited free plan.
 
Yes, VPN is an important part of surfing the Internet today. I think you have read many times why it is important.

I recommend using only paid options. Because if you do not pay for the product, then you (your information or information about you) are the product. :)

Personally, having studied many topics on VPN, I would recommend several VPN providers: Mullvad VPN, Proton VPV and iVPN. These VPNs are always recommended by people who are concerned about quality and privacy.

VPN PROBLEMS!

Yes, every coin has two sides and VPN is no exception. Unfortunately, with the development of VPN and its cheapening, many owners of large services began to fight it. For example, under VPN I cannot access Facebook, Instagram or social network X, and I also often have to enter a captcha.

What should I do to hide the fact of using VPN from sites and services?

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible. There are tips to choose a VPN in your own country (so that the time zone, OS language and keyboard match). But this does not always help: services and sites have many tools to determine that you are using a VPN: fingerprinting, standard servers that popular VPN services use, OS and browser localization and many other methods. If there is a suspicion that you are using a VPN, then the service or site may not let you through.

A good option is Cloudflare WARP. It does NOT change your country, but it changes the provider in your country (hides your IP) and sometimes helps to bypass censorship. Large sites like Facebook do not respond to it.

So yes - a VPN is needed for today's Internet, but while helping you with anonymity and privacy, it does not allow you to use many popular sites, because they do not like VPNs. :)
 
Yes, VPN is an important part of surfing the Internet today. I think you have read many times why it is important.

I recommend using only paid options. Because if you do not pay for the product, then you (your information or information about you) are the product. :)

Personally, having studied many topics on VPN, I would recommend several VPN providers: Mullvad VPN, Proton VPV and iVPN. These VPNs are always recommended by people who are concerned about quality and privacy.

VPN PROBLEMS!

Yes, every coin has two sides and VPN is no exception. Unfortunately, with the development of VPN and its cheapening, many owners of large services began to fight it. For example, under VPN I cannot access Facebook, Instagram or social network X, and I also often have to enter a captcha.

What should I do to hide the fact of using VPN from sites and services?

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible. There are tips to choose a VPN in your own country (so that the time zone, OS language and keyboard match). But this does not always help: services and sites have many tools to determine that you are using a VPN: fingerprinting, standard servers that popular VPN services use, OS and browser localization and many other methods. If there is a suspicion that you are using a VPN, then the service or site may not let you through.

A good option is Cloudflare WARP. It does NOT change your country, but it changes the provider in your country (hides your IP) and sometimes helps to bypass censorship. Large sites like Facebook do not respond to it.

So yes - a VPN is needed for today's Internet, but while helping you with anonymity and privacy, it does not allow you to use many popular sites, because they do not like VPNs. :)

For those pesky sites that block VPNs, do what I do. Mullvad and ivpn both use internal socks addresses per server (10.64.0.1 for Mullvad and 10.1.0.1 for ivpn) That means you can configure it to connect to that address and ensuring you can only communicate with an active VPN connection. That also means you can change the connection you use on a per-site basis; Facebook can have one address, reddit another, etc. Just keep trying until you find a socks5 server address that is not blocked. Use an extension, such as FoxyProxy.
 
The answer of this question depends whether you're located in a country which censors internet and where content you share online could get you in trouble, then yes. If you're in a country which doesn't censor the web and has strong privacy laws, you don't really need it.

At bare minimum, I'd recommend free Cloudflare WARP or free ProtonVPN.
 
VPN that comes with antivirus is usually very limited, i have used kaspersky, norton, mcafee, f-secure and so on in the past and even adguard that costs like 6$/ year in stacksocial is better than those

So im using adguard vpn on windows/android having only firefox tunneled throught it on windows and on android its working system wide
 
I've used a VPN for years & keep it running 99% of the time, I use a pay for one as I really need a server in my own country to access local content, at the moment I use ExpressVPN as its simple as I am & has several servers available - I've used VPN's with a single server in UK such as OVPN etc but if it has issues or it gets blocked your options are few - Just my take :cool:
 
At bare minimum, I'd recommend free Cloudflare WARP or free ProtonVPN.
Yes, that's good advice. I recommend it too.

Cloudflare WARP (with encryption enabled in settings) gives you a different IP address in your country and sometimes (but not always, because the website may block your country itself) helps you bypass censorship. It's the easiest way to access large websites that don't like VPNs and maintain your privacy.

ProtonVPN's free version is also not bad — it doesn't limit your speed, but it only connects to 5 countries without the option to choose. I use it as a quick option when I need to bypass censorship in my country. :)
 
Last edited:
On all the time except for eCommerce type stuff that blocks VPNs or suspects you are a bot. I use YubiKeys so most sites including banks don't block me just for VPNs'. Strangely eBay is the worst :poop:, they will ban you just for using a VPN, any other sites are fine 99% of the time.

These days you need it on 99% of the time just to avoid tracking and targeted advertising. The cost benefit analysis outweighs any negatives, $5USD a month for Mullvad is worth the price of admission. Can you defeat nation state surveillance or a advanced attacker? No but really what can?
 
VPN that comes with antivirus is usually very limited, i have used kaspersky, norton, mcafee, f-secure and so on in the past and even adguard that costs like 6$/ year in stacksocial is better than those

So im using adguard vpn on windows/android having only firefox tunneled throught it on windows and on android its working system wide
Eset runs windscribe.
 
I believe it depends on what you browse, and where you browse it.
  • Location
For example, I live in South America where, unless you're doing something utterly illegal that Google or the site you entered your query in contacts the authority, you won't get in trouble at all.

I've also lived in Germany where torrenting one single movie costed me a fine of thousands of dollars.
  • Casual uses
Also, a VPN is highly useful in public hotspots like an airport, a coffee shop, or similar. I will never use a hotel's wi-fi if I haven't first enabled my VPN.

--------------------------------------
All in all, in my specific current case, as I only use a VPN in public networks, I use a solid, well-known free VPN, since I won't be paying USD 15/month to connect one hour per month. If my case was different, regarding location or browsing habits, I'd definitely be paying for a top-tier solution.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top