Free' Windows 10 Has An Expensive Secret

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
As it stands, what Microsoft is perpetuating is that after July 28th 2016, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro will cost $119 and $199 respectively. Reading the official Windows 10 home page this also seems to be the case:

In fact on the numerous occasions I’ve actually asked Microsoft to spell out precisely what will happen after the free Windows 10 offer expires, it has responded with one of two responses: 1. This hasn’t been announced yet, or 2. No comment.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I think we can all concur Microsoft has to make money, and Windows 10 will cost (nothing in this life is free!), especially when Microsoft stated Windows 10 is the last OS, but then Bill Gates doesn’t need any more money. Like many companies they’ve just done it behind the scenes. When the year is up, bang, the (either) yearly or lifetime subscription will start – the latter will never be available. Personally I will pay, I like Windows 10, the features are great, and unlike the UK Government I will certainly not return to XP or Vista, both are terrible, and I’m shocked to learn all ATM machines and banks etc., etc., still use XP, in fact the Government paid Microsoft millions to continue providing security patches.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
You definitely should read all the article. That is just a sensationalist tittle and the quote chosen was not the great.

As such Microsoft finds itself in a situation where it either sticks to its guns and watches adoption tank after July 28th 2016 or offers some sort of U-turn/’surprise’ extended offer to keep adoption rates high.

Since the former is not an option, the latter looks the only way to go and it would explain why Microsoft remains so cagey about giving any sort of firm answer on something as simple as ‘What happens to Windows 10 after July 28th?’.

So I’m going to call it: Windows 10 is not going to become expensive. Microsoft’s future can’t afford it…

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Microsoft has previously said this Windows 10 upgrade will be “free for the first year.” This means that this free offer lasts a year — from July 29, 2015 to July 29, 2016. You have a year to get your free upgrade. If you don’t upgrade by July 29, 2016 and try to upgrade on July 30, Microsoft won’t give you Windows 10 for free.

If you do upgrade within the first year, you get Windows 10 for free, permanently. You don’t have to pay anything. Even after it’s been a year, your Windows 10 installation will continue working and receiving updates as normal. You won’t have to pay for some sort of Windows 10 subscription or fee to continue using it, and you’ll even get any new features.

Then What Exactly is “Windows 10 as a Service”?
If Windows 10 is completely free, then what is all this talk about Windows being a “service” going forward?

Well, to hear MIcrosoft tell it, they’re changing the way they develop and deliver Windows. This is tied together with Windows 10 being “the last version of Windows,” as some are saying.

Windows 10 will be updated and developed on an ongoing basis going foward. Microsoft won’t work for three years on a Windows 11 with new features and attempt to sell you an upgrade. Instead, they’ll continue adding features and improvements to Windows 10 itself on an ongoing basis. You won’t have to pay for these features. Windows 10 will just receive regular updates with the features that would otherwise have been held onto for Windows 11.

No, Windows 10 Won’t Require a Subscription: Here’s How Microsoft Plans on Making Money Instead

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
(Sometimes) I don't know what to believe,:confused: ..except for the fact my wife refuses to upgrade (she loves Windows 7) and still won't touch my 8.1 or even any of my linux systems with a 10 foot pole!:p:D We'll just wait and see..:rolleyes: won't we?o_O ;)

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree the quote was very misleading, what is actually happening is that microsoft says that if you haven't upgraded to windows 10 in a year you'll have to pay for that upgrade which was otherwise 100% free if you do it now. Otherwise you'll continue to have windows 10 until you have to change computers. If you are buying one, the price of windows 10 is already included in the price you pay (as you do right now, even with windows 7, 8 and 8.1). If you are building you own PC, a windows 10 license is going to cost you the same price as you pay for it when you buy it from a vendor. Nothing has changed and I don't know what the big fuss is about.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I have read some folks do a full backup, upgrade to Win 10 and get it activated, then restore the backup to Win 7. The key generated for Win 10 is a shared generic one (both machines upgraded here a few weeks ago have the same generic key). The important thing is getting your 'free' copy of Windows 10 activated before July 28, 2016.

If you do that, then your activation is kept and tied to your hardware config. You can use Speccy to see what the generic key is and write it down just in case, but you will usually skip entering a key now even on a clean install of Windows 10 and let it activate by itself.

I tried it just this week, I upgraded normally to Win 10, backed up my stuff, then format/reinstalled to Windows 10 with a clean install. Activation proceeded without a hitch.

If you change your hardware config, it might think you have a new machine and you'll have to call MS support to get it activated. Source:
How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware
Windows 10 Product Key And Activation: How To Find It And How It Works | Redmond Pie
How To Clean Install Windows 10 On Your PC The Right Way [Guide] | Redmond Pie

TLDR: do a full system backup, upgrade to win 10, make sure it's activated, then revert to system image Win 7. Your Win 10 activation will be tied to your hardware config and you'll keep your free upgrade.

@Hanmin147 is right - if you build a new machine even today you're still paying for a copy of Win 10 because it's not an 'upgrade'.

@Cats-4_Owners-2 My wife was the same. She loves her Win 10 machine now, but all she does it web browse, stream TV, download photos and videos. It's very similar to Win 7 operation and you can make it look and feel 90% the same as Win 7. Only thing she had trouble with the first day was figuring out how to turn it off.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well this free upgrade year was obviously to defer the costs of mainlining support down the road for the older Operating Systems.
I am pretty sure if your buying a new machine with Windows 10 you are paying for it.
I cannot really blame them as they have to make money off of it eventually.However this is a very shrewd marketing stardegy to move people to the new OS.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Ok let's all panic! LOL Did anyone think Windows 10 would be free to obtain forever? To me anyone who went for the upgrade during the free period owns it, done end of story, but after the July deadline in 2016 you will have to pay to upgrade if you haven't already done it, they're not going to say to all those who got the free upgrade that now you have to pay to keep it, that would be lunacy and would lose them way too many customers for them to consider attempting that scenario. So lighten up, it's not personal, it's business lol

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
My uncle is stuck on Windows 8, he won't upgrade anymore. He states Microsoft finished XP, messed-up on Vista, then brought out Windows 7, didn't finish that so Windows 8, 8.1 8.1 update 1 was born, and quickly replaced. Now wee have Windows 10 - yeah I like it, but nothing special. I would go to Apple, but had one for 2-3 weeks and hated every bit! Since Bill Gates is giving away all his money to charity, may be he can make Windows free for all - better than most of the stuff he (in his life-time) won't achieve.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi @Tony Cole. I am encouraged by how you and more and more members are pleased with Windows 10. Many (here in the states) would side with your uncle whom might be considered a refreshing candidate for our next Presidential election (if only he could).;) A free, plus maybe an open source,o_O Windows OS which your uncle & you could both agree upon could be exciting,:cool: but I'd expect it to be a long hard yellow brick road toward convincing the charitable "Wizard"!:p:D

Maybe your uncle would agree to trying linux!
...someday.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.