Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The Federal Trade Commission today said it "has moved to stop Internet service provider Frontier Communications from lying to consumers and charging them for high-speed Internet speeds it fails to deliver."

Frontier was sued by the FTC in May 2021, and on Thursday, it agreed to a settlement with the FTC and district attorneys in Los Angeles County and Riverside County who represented the people of California. Frontier must pay $8.5 million to California "for investigation and litigation costs" and another $250,000 that will be distributed to Frontier customers who were harmed by Frontier's alleged actions.

Frontier must also make changes, such as letting customers cancel service at no charge and "discount[ing] the bills of California customers who have not been notified that they are receiving DSL service that is much slower than the highest advertised speed," the FTC said.

"Frontier lied about its speeds and ripped off customers by charging high-speed prices for slow service," said FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection Director Samuel Levine. "Today's proposed order requires Frontier to back up its high-speed claims. It also arms customers lured in by Frontier's lies with free, easy options for dropping their slow service."

The settlement is pending a judge's approval in US District Court for the Central District of California. The FTC approved the proposed order in a 4-0 vote. Frontier did not admit or deny the lawsuit's allegations.

Saying the FTC's complaint "included baseless allegations and disregarded important facts," Frontier said today that it "settled the lawsuit in good faith to put it behind us so we could focus on our business."

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
My ISP Virgin Media (Liberty Global) has been advertising its average top speed as average of 1,130Mbps which I am on - However due to them still using a Hub 4 with 1 Gig ports (which is on their Gig BB advert) the most you can get via Ethernet is around 940, and much less via wireless - The speed is a largely irrelevant but advertising something you can't physically cannot get is misleading? I notice Frontier offer top speed fibre of 940 as to some other UK ISP's such as Sky - Most UK ISP's offer up to speeds which are often unattainable - Virgin had a new hub with 2.5 ports as does this PC but has no many issues I think was withdrawn, anyway you can't get one - VM appear to be annoying other UK ISP's who are more maybe more honest as to speeds ?? :):)

Last edited:

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
My ISP Virgin Media (Liberty Global) has been advertising its average top speed as average of 1,130Mbps
I don't know why ASA let's Virgin Media gets away with it, the only customer that can ever get 1000 Mbps are customers who got the Hub 5 I think Virgin is still using hub 4 on new installs in some areas.

Am with Virgin Media too but got M600 plan late at night can get around 620-645 Mbps on it.

I can't get 1 Gig in my area due to network capacity issues in my area speed quite regularly drop under 50 Mbps at peak times.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.