Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Softpedia said:
Android mobile phone users can now enhance the security of their devices with a new application specifically designed for them, namely avast! Mobile Security.

Made available in beta last week, the application has just been graduated to a final release, and is available for download via the Android Market for all devices running under Android 2.1 or newer platform releases.

Read: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Full-Featured-avast-Mobile-Security-Arrives-on-Android-242427.shtml

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast! Free Mobile Security
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-mobile-security

[attachment=996]

What do you think? Are all the features needed, or are half of junk?

Attachments

• avastfms.png
    avastfms.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 495

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I must give it a try. To me it looks like overkill, but it's nice that they offer so many features for free. For people who want their Privacy, Anti-Theft and Security Apps rolled into one, it could be a winner.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I say overkill.
In my mind the only usefull thing in these suites are the anti-theft features.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Currently using it and so far it's not bad. I'm running it on a non rooted phone so I can't use the firewall but don't really have a problem with that. Plus I like that it does not slow my phone down.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Another neat release from Avast!, Too bad I currently don't have an Android device.

D

Deleted member 178

Using it with a rooted phone, many features are very interesting if rooted. Note that the antitheft module is downloaded separately as an anonymous apps. The firewall is similar as Droidwall.

D

Deleted member 178

theorically you can "brick" (kill) your phone. but you have so many tutorial and tools to do it that the risk are very few now

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
As long as you are aware of what works with your phone model and what doesn't, you should be able to root your phone without it bricking.
I used z4root to root my phone.
If you do root your phone, then make sure to download the superuser app so that apps need permission to get root access.
Z4root automatically downloads superuser after it roots the phone, but the version needs to be updated from the android market.

D

Deleted member 178

yes, be sure you are using the right tool.

SuperOneclick for almost all phones, Gingerbreak for Gingerbread based phone, etc...

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
yes, be sure you are using the right tool.

SuperOneclick for almost all phones, Gingerbreak for Gingerbread based phone, etc...
Since Android is open source, you need to check for more than just the android version, as OEMs may alter the mOS and fix exploits or make the exploit brick the phone (either intentionally or by accident).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.