App Review Fun With a Password Stealer

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Ophelia

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
They steal not only the saved passwords but session cookies as well. Using these cookies, they can frequently recreate a session without having to log-in at all. Disabling auto-fill or using a 3P password manager will not help against that.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Stealers are very fast at stealing passwords.
Even if some of them fall asleep during the execution phase, their triggers can have devastating effects.

Note that "anti-logger" software is often outdated because stealers often adopt new methods (Keylogging, Cookie stealing, Token Grabbing etc).
The best thing to do is not to download anything and everything from the Internet (untrusted sites, crack on YouTube/P2P/Torrent/DDL) and to have a good security with firewall!

PS: I still like the videos of our @cruelsister and cat = <3 :D ^^

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Maybe futile to ask, but is the Destination Port TCP 80?
Actually a very good question! As the traffic was HTTPS, I prefer and the malware connected on Port 443.
I wonder, is it able to steal autofill,
If one chooses to utilize AutoFill such input would have been listed in the AutoFill directory (1:39 of the video). And although I picked on Chrome here, that folder would have also included data from FireFox

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
One more question if I may,

did this stealer bypass UAC, or did it run entirely in user space?
Although I didn't try this at the time (mainly because UAC typically will ignore a plethora of malware), I did just set UAC at max and ran both this one as well as the stealer used in the previous video and both resulted in system infection without a peep from UAC.

Previously I would have termed UAC "feel good protection"; but now it is demoted to "feel good annoyance".

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
besides, privilege escalation seems pretty easy these days..
Maybe because the focus of the security industry has always been on RCE bugs/exploits. PE has become just as important as RCE. There will always be way to gain a foothold on a box/machine through whatever means, but the key these days is how you can or if you can elevate to admin. SRP/Whitelisting/LOLbin blocking can help in both RCE & PE, there are some very good software options for these methods out there.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.