Advice Request G-Data - I need help

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I'm doing a trial of G-Data Internet Security. So far I like it a LOT even though it is a bit heavy on RAM usage, as @Shadowra & some others mentioned in other threads. No big deal -- I have plenty of Ram. (Uh-uh, that reminds of the fellow who thought "Ram Disk" was a command.)

As per topic title, I do need help. PLEASE! To wit, I accidentally had G-Data firewall "Always Allow" an app that is meant to click "Always Block." I looked & looked but cannot find a way to reverse that error.

QUESTION: Is there a way to reverse a mistaken "Always Allow" on G-Data's firewall? (I hope)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I'm doing a trial of G-Data Internet Security. So far I like it a LOT even though it is a bit heavy on RAM usage, as @Shadowra & some others mentioned in other threads. No big deal -- I have plenty of Ram. (Uh-uh, that reminds of the fellow who thought "Ram Disk" was a command.)

As per topic title, I do need help. PLEASE! To wit, I accidentally had G-Data firewall "Always Allow" an app that is meant to click "Always Block." I looked & looked but cannot find a way to reverse that error.

QUESTION: Is there a way to reverse a mistaken "Always Allow" on G-Data's firewall? (I hope)
This is a guess, but have you tried uninstalling G-Data then reinstalling? This should get you back to default

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
@cruelsister -- The instructions at that link did the trick to perfection. Many thanks & much aloha for your kind help. The process was somewhat convoluted, don't you agree? I think a simple app list, showing firewall status & enabling edits thereto would be more user friendly -- at least to guy in his dotage, such as.. uh ... me. 🥴

And -- I must admit -- working my way through those instructions has given me a very strong incentive for being a much more careful button clicker in the future.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Dave Russo Un-/re-install is okay to try in early days, but t'would be a last ditch resort after 2+ weeks of using G-Data, right? Even so, thanks for pitching in with a very workable (but painful) suggestion. 👍

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
@cruelsister What is your opinion on the security of GData?
Quite frankly I haven't given GD much thought for quite a while, but in the past although malware protection was fine it appeared to be not very elegantly coded which results in the product being a tad burdensome resource-wise.

The process was somewhat convoluted, don't you agree?
Absolutely! I thank God that they included pictures in their explaination, as if I had to type it out myself my fingers would have fallen off before finishing.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Quite frankly I haven't given GD much thought for quite a while, but in the past although malware protection was fine it appeared to be not very elegantly coded which results in the product being a tad burdensome resource-wise.

PLEASE give GD a test, such as the one you did for Wise Vector SX a while ago. Your tests of WVSX indicated that its AI is remarkably efficient. GD has the "Beast" for that AI/0-day etc stuff. I would VERY much appreciate it if you would "take on the Beast" and find out whether he is (a) a toy poodle OR (b) a junk yard Rottweiler.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I am again running G-Data as real-time AV. Oddly enough, G-data's files are prefixed with "AVK." That fact gave me a brief start when my Voodooshield alerted me that an avk.exe file was executing. Other than that G-Data is running yar, in fair winds, with a following sea.

BTW, I opted not to use G-Data's firewall component. Using Simplewall instead.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I gave G-data a bit of a "stress test" today. I had 9 apps running, plus 10 processes, with browser having 17 tabs open. Sysgauge showed my Intel i5 CPU was at 4.6% usage, & 51% was being used of 8GB RAM. My aging laptop stayed zippy at that load.

Is that pretty good for a big-footptrint AV like G-data?

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.