Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015
So, i know that both products are amongst the best av out there. i have recently changed to g data internet security, but this switch makes me back to emsisoft for some reason.. dunno if i should stay on g data (they say "trust in german technology*) what guys do you recommend me?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Emsisoft. G Data is heavier than ever and my system does not like it. Get freezing problems with it. I agree with @nsm0220 about it's behavioral blocker though. It is more detailed and in my test (as well as one of my favorite reviewers test (ThePCSecurity Channel) - and the guy works for Emsisoft now) it blocked and cleaned up what it found better than Emsisoft with the same samples.

Reactions: Evgeny

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Depending on your system GData can have a bit more of a system impact than Emsisoft.Both provide excellent protection so I would imagine your answer would be which one runs the best on your system.
I prefer EIS over GData but then again this is just my personal preference.

H

hjlbx

Test G-Data and Emsisoft side-by-side. I would bet you would much prefer Emsisoft over G-Data.

Emsi's user interface is excellent and the Behavior Blocker\Anti-Malware Network query is more refined than G-Data's. Although it is debatable - I think Emsi's BB is better than both G-Data's and F-Secure's DeepGuard (another BB). Plus, Emsi's firewall is kick-ass.

You can ask here and you will get good advice - and everyone is very certain of themselves.

The only way to know for sure which one will work best for both you and your system is to evaluate each one... so use the trials.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In nature Gdata is pretty a big boy security product as contain large installer size + the performance stability makes it consistent to be heavy on the system. Now that makes it with the edge of Emsisoft.

In such test that will be vary since both products implement Bitdefender engine therefore its percentage should be totally tough.

Now the main difference is their secondary engine + BB:

Gdata also include Avast engine (AFAIK) or in house as current perhaps + solid and functional Behavior Blocker without user decision by default settings but firewall then likely differ from effectiveness.

Emsisoft contains their in-house engine which also good in terms of detection + BB powered by Emsisoft Cloud can generate accurate reference which better to verify the user analysis.

Last edited:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I have not tried GData, but I heard that users could not permanently exclude an application from GData's behavior blocker. So I prefer to Emsisoft.

Last edited:
Reactions: OokamiCreed

PrMi

Level 3
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Both products are good. Both use their stock engine and Bitdefender engine. Gdata is heavier on the system whereas Emsisoft isnt. Also, GData gives many false positives whereas Emsisoft gives less.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Both products are good. Both use their stock engine and Bitdefender engine. Gdata is heavier on the system whereas Emsisoft isnt. Also, GData gives many false positives whereas Emsisoft gives less.
Btw Emsisoft has more FPs than Gdata.

Last edited by a moderator:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Well, some guys said here a good reason to switch back to emsi, will do that, thanks!

Overall, Emsisoft is far better than G Data. It's a wise choice in my opinion. And as many have said, Emsisoft has an extremely well polish firewall. G Data firewall is a bit... paranoid at times. It gives false positives. I still believe G Data has a better behavioral blocker (but not by much to be fair) and always will until Emsisoft can actually remove elements of files that the original file left behind as well as G Data.

Keep in mind that the test consisted of everything except behavioral blocking being turned off. That is the only way to truly test them. When everything is working together, I'd say Emsisoft would be best. I would actually go a far as saying Emsisoft Internet Security is the best product to product you currently. But only because they use Bitdefender and Emsisoft signatures. Without Bitdefender, I don't think they would stand against G Data in terms of detection by signature.

Reactions: jamescv7 and Evgeny

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
From my experience i believe both products offer pretty much the same level of protection.;)
But my laptop is 6 years old and every time i install Gdata i am noticing system slowdown :(.
Final result: i have to buy a new pc if i want to use Gdata:p:D

dmzbg79

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 28, 2014
I've had the opportunity to test both programs...I have to say that their detection rate is quite similar...Emsisoft and G Data both use Bit defender engine and one of their own.Emsisoft has a better firewall...But when we talk about performance,G Data is definatly heavier...But in the end in terms of detection both a very good,but there is a lot more to be done to make them lighter...Anyone can test and make his own decision,what fits his system and his taste...

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Gdata is heavy as a mountain, Dr.Web can be consider light compared to it lol. I can't stand software that will heavily impact a system when it is not a slow computer. I have enough ram and CPU power for it but it will put my boot time into hell, and the system runs just slowww.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.