Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I wonder how its new anti-ransomware component fair

For example, switching off operating system backups, encrypting a conspicuously large number of files in a short time or changing file extensions (e.g. .docx into .locky).

I supposed no MBR protection, right?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Here's my short take on the trial testing of the new G Data Antivirus 2017

PROS

1) Comes with many features (anti-ransomware, exploit proetction, email protection, web protection, phishing and PUP protection, keylogger protection, BadUSB protection and BankGuard)
2) Comes with BD and its own scanning engines with strong BB
3) RanSim test result is 8/10 - failed both Streamer and InsideCryptor. Pretty good if you ask me considering RansomFree and some reputable ones failed everything
4) Comes with built-in uninstaller which cleans everything off the system
5) Definitions update is hourly and some times shorter

CONS

1) Downloading of file takes a long time (at least from my location in the Far East) since G Data is a German-based company
2) Installation takes some time
3) During installation it detected CFW's Internet Security Essentials and HMPA as incompatible with it. Have to uninstall CFW's Internet Security Essentials and disabled some features (common to G Data) of HMPA in order to let the smooth installation of G Data Antivirus.
4) Uninstallation takes a long time......probably for a thorough removal
5) Complete system scanning is definitely longer than Emsisoft...if you have used it before.
6) During complete system scanning, on my MS SP4, it hits at least about 90 - 97% CPU usage most of the time and the disk access of 100% causing my MS SP4 to overheat and shuts down when I ran it in an non-aircon environment. I'll need to let it cool down for a few minutes before starting up to complete the scanning. No problem if I ran it in an aircon environment.
7) Since I'm using HMPA and ZAL as well, which shares many common features with G Data Antivirus, I disabled G Data's

a) exploit protection (using HMPA)
b) email protection (I'm using only web-based emails)
c) keylogger protection (disabled HMPA's keylogger as well and using ZAL)
d) BadUSB (using HMPA)
e) BankGuard (using ZAL)

If I'll to buy this G Data Antivirus 2017 I'll be wondering what I'm buying it for with so many features disabled. Moreover, it shuts down my MS SP4 during complete system scanning puts me off especially when working in an non-aircon environment.

So back to using WD and wait for the release of the new AVG/Avast

Last edited:
Reactions: kaerula3

kaerula3

Level 1
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Thanks Harbor. If only you took some screenshots (if the UI has changed) & included them in the review.
Btw I think some cons (3, 4, 5, 7) are not very what they called. Some just do rightly what they are supposed to, some work differently from other products...

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
how is the impact in this version? in the past, Gdata IS was heavy on some systems...

i search an av with banking protection for my dad..he is using Kaspersky IS with terrible errors messages on win 10.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
yes of course...no other experiences here in the forum?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
how is the impact in this version? in the past, Gdata IS was heavy on some systems...

i search an av with banking protection for my dad..he is using Kaspersky IS with terrible errors messages on Windows 10.
Reset Windows 10, keeping personal files intact. You will lose all Program Files installed software, but Personal Files will remain. Try installing Kaspersky Internet Security again and see if it works better. If the errors continue to exist, create a new thread under Kaspersky sub-forum or contact their Support (via Kaspersky.com).

Not many people know or use G-Data, I did try and contact one of the members here that use/used G-Data in the past, but heard nothing back.

If you really want to try G-DATA see the reviews on-the-web, watch this video by @Evjl's Rain or install it.
Video Review - G Data Internet Security - Behavior monitor + Antiransomware - ransomware test

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
thx for your post. the pc from my dad has a clean install win 10 home edition, but from time to time, there is a conflict between the windows- and the kaspersky firewall.... it's frustrating.

and now there is a problem with the safe browser..forum is full with this problem. So no thx....these errors are bad for inexperiecend users like my dad.

thx for your post. the pc from my dad has a clean install Windows 10 home edition, but from time to time, there is a conflict between the windows- and the kaspersky firewall.... it's frustrating.

and now there is a problem with the safe browser..forum is full with this problem. So no thx....these errors are bad for inexperiecend users like my dad.

For an inexperienced user, security suites like Kaspersky and GData are too much. Your dad will likely have a really difficult time deciphering GData.

HarryNguyen0330

Level 1
Oct 6, 2016
Just updated my GDTS to v25.4.0.1, changelogs here:
2017d6eaab7a-ff77-4d50-b39d-44b6d160935f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.