App Review G data IS 2018 vs Ransomwares

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

What are your Final thoughts after this review ?

• 5 star

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • 4 star

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Was the Firewall on default settings? I wonder if tweaking it to maximum would have made a difference.
Thanks for the review.
YES..since Firewall is on default settings it let it happen (May be same even on High settings too:p)..but all the av are tested in default settings..so its a (y)..
Hopefully Our testers may get that sample and test in MT HUB and plot the results..

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Silent spring.png
For more info : Remove SilentSpring ransomware (Decryption Steps Included) - Mar 2018 update

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Was the Firewall on default settings? I wonder if tweaking it to maximum would have made a difference.
Thanks for the review.
Surely it would have made a difference, in the tests I did with all ransomware samples, none went through G Data.

G Data is already powerful in the default configuration, now you put Firewall in high or maximum security, it becomes ruthless against malware and ransomware.

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Surely it would have made a difference, in the tests I did with all ransomware samples, none went through G Data.

G Data is already powerful in the default configuration, now you put Firewall in high or maximum security, it becomes ruthless against malware and ransomware.
I agree with u completely..but that last sample didn't trigger firewall..done it's activity through cmd..(just in few sec files are encrypted)..but still there are chances for a block..maybe it's in autopilot (standard security)..and allowed the same(thinking low level)..if we tweak it to Max security(autopilot -ON/OFF)...we may get an optimum result
If u get that sample plz try to make a test @Faybert
Thanks

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
awesome result (y)but how is the difference with my gdata antivirus without firewall?
some years ago, the windows firewall was sufficient.
and now?
should now have every antivirus a firewall? (=internet security)?
some people say that an external firewall offers new vulnerabilities....

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
awesome result (y)but how is the difference with my gdata antvirus without firewall?
and now?
this tab is what we're talking about
GWbDmW.png

this is not enabled by default normal settings afaik.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
awesome result (y)but how is the difference with my gdata antvirus without firewall?
and now?
They may go quite well if it's in one suite..since they are clubbed to work together..but not sure if WF would trigger the same from G data BB..But it's always a good thing to use AV firewall..to minimise these kind of doubts

D

Deleted member 65228

Everything offers new vulnerabilities, there's no getting around that. The only thing you can do in regards to this is use a product from a vendor who has a reputation for being serious at patching known vulnerabilities and invests lots of resources into testing, remove obsolete software from your system and stick to the bare minimal of what you really need.

Windows Firewall is much better now compared to in the past and most Anti-Virus vendors rely on the same technology that Windows Firewall relies on as opposed to building the firewall entirely from scratch nowadays. Typically this would be because of usage of WFP for network interception. This won't apply to every vendor in existence but most.

Some people prefer using Windows Firewall with an addition like Windows Firewall Control (WFC), others prefer using a full suite which has a firewall component provided by a security vendor, in which the vendor they chose has their own scan/identification mechanisms... Network interception is also used for malware detection and other firewall components among different vendors has different customisation and features to provide along with the monitoring.

G-DATA have a good firewall, ESET have a good firewall, COMODO have a good firewall (?). People will use whichever one they feel most comfortable using, e.g. someone might want a feature only available by one vendor combined with the firewall component. There are many different factors as to why person X uses X over X or X.

People have different needs, different products provide different required features. If you're an average home user using a normal Anti-Virus solution with no firewall component then using Windows Firewall with it is likely a good idea although it neither would hurt to use a different vendors firewall if it's reputable and proven to perform well.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Rutheless to the point it will even recognized tampered Windows core DLL's and System Files. A pity most people don't realize that level of protection is there, just waiting for a few clicks to enable it. (y)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Rutheless to the point it will even recognized tampered Windows core DLL's and System Files. A pity most people don't realize that level of protection is there, just waiting for a few clicks to enable it. (y)
Yes, I use G Data in MH only with the default settings, and even then it's powerful, I'll soon start testing it on the maximum protection settings,
especially your Firewall.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i have used eset nod32 in the past. it was good. but with the eset internet security I don't have any experience to compare it.
But i think if you have a ssd, you dont feel any difference between the both av's. web browsing could be another story

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
awesome result (y)but how is the difference with my gdata antivirus without firewall?
and now?
As the @Opcode mentioned, this goes from every person, what it uses and accesses, Windows Firewall is enough for most people, in my opinion, but if you want extra protection, if you do banking transactions on the web and etc. , using a good Firewall (like G Data) would surely be the best for you (y)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I am sorry I am totally fcking derailing this thread so this is the last post regarding this...but you mention SSD so the problem appears to be in I/O? Then will having one over the other shorten the life of my drive? Bah I am diving too deep into this ##### I should just test it, but I don't honestly have the time to do a dual home system rebuild I do this enough at work....I should get my wife hooked on some new show so she can watch that while I do this.

you can make a new threat with a poll...there are sure a lot of users who can share their experience

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.