Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I never gave this option within an AV much thought until I was trying out Avira Pro.

Since I am not a Gamer, I would disable the option but every time I would boot up my PC, the option was enabled again. The explanation for this is here on the Avira Blog:

Avira Antivirus: Game Mode explained - Avira Blog

An AV should allow one to manually disable the mode if he is not using it, and to tell the user that he must "remember" to re-enable it to derive the benefit of maximum security is ridiculous. For my purposes, I either want notifications, or want to turn them off with regard to malware. Regarding Malware, I want to know immediately, rather than later.

The implication here is that other AV's are moving in this Auto-Gamer mode. I think that if this should be the situation, it creates an unnecessary vulnerability for the user regarding malware if he forgets to turn it back on. Maybe there should be a reminder from the program to reactivate it but that was not the case for Avira Pro. So for me, it was a deal breaker, and I uninstalled it. I decided to go with Kaspersky AV running alongside my CF/cs, so far with no conflicts or problems.

Have any of you encountered similar situations with other AV programs that you are using or have used regarding the Game Mode?

For Gamers it might be useful, for those of us non-gamers, it might be problematic.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
How does game mode compromise security???

Depending upon your program, it might silence important notifications or postpone notification until later, as Avira Pro did in my case. They even suggest to insure optimum security to remember to turn the feature off: Avira Antivirus: Game Mode explained - Avira Blog

Hope this helps but what may be good for me may not apply to your circumstances. I suggest reading whether your AV provider has this option and how it affects the program. Thanks.

Arkham_Knight

Level 1
Verified
Aug 15, 2017
Depending upon your program, it might silence important notifications or postpone notification until later, as Avira Pro did in my case. They even suggest to insure optimum security to remember to turn the feature off: Avira Antivirus: Game Mode explained - Avira Blog

Hope this helps but what may be good for me may not apply to your circumstances. I suggest reading whether your AV provider has this option and how it affects the program. Thanks.
I have Avast, its a downloadable option extension for the AV I downloaded it.. only problem I have with Avast is the fact it only scans 400,000 files.. :(

Thanks for the answer :D

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I'm a gamer and have good experience with eset, panda, avast and bitdefender. Only avira makes some problems with ping

Did these programs allow you to manually disable and enable when needed, and if disabled, did the Game Mode stay disabled?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I'm a gamer and I play league of legends 24/7 but I don't use game mode if I use an av.
I don't like it(i think it's useless or only marketing features and not much effective).
I only use wise game booster it's simple and effective you can combine it with Process Lasso( free version) and everything goes smoothly.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Too bad you had to extend the simple "yes" or "no" question with an opposing security rating.
I use it and feel it does compromise my security, which one do I check? :p

(Actually, it's just a feeling really. I don't surf funny web sites and don't open chinese e-mail attachments while gaming, so I'm probably rather safe. But I'm all Monk/OCD when it comes to security and would prefer to be kept in the loop at all times. ;))

AnonMan

Level 2
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
Don't know why but when I still use avast i think that game mode in AVs is pretty useless when windows 10 itself offer game mode. So i just keep it disable.
I use it and feel it does compromise my security, which one do I check? :p
Lol...
only problem I have with Avast is the fact it only scans 400,000 files
Did you know that avast (even some AVs) will not scan every possible file? go to the setting for scan, you can enable every possible setting for that. Don't know what setting to enable? go here ------- Avast Antivirus: Adjusting settings for Antivirus scans
Note:- Some setting may make your PC a potato(while scanning).

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
There are many different game modes in different AVs, for example in avast, the game mode not only disables the notifications but also makes sure that the game traffic is not being slowed down by the network scanning of avast. It really can be a vulnerability because if there is any malware on the game it might have a slightly higher chance of infecting you.

On the other hand, for gamers, this would help them boost their gaming experience

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
Game mode can be good or bad.

Last year, we were using avira free at home, and the popup during game sessions became a no-go for us. (game mode was only available on the paid version)

Now, my son likes Qihoo 360 TS. It has a game mode, no popup, nice !

But my son is always on steam, because of the "social" aspect of the steam client.

The problem is that 360TS enter in Game Mode when Steam is launched. So, because Steam is on autostart/autologin on this machine, 360TS is always in game mode, and it never autoupdate (sigs, product...)

I asked the support but they never respond. So I will lobbying my son to make him abandon 360TS.
For sure, you can manually "exit silent mode", or click on the update button, but it's not a good behavior. I would prefer a custom list of exe considered as game.

Reactions: roger_m and Fritz

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
The game mode on avast is actually great ,it silences avast ( But auto resolves Issues ) Priorizes games , and changes energy plan to max on execution of games. ( and stops windows updates and other crap while playing ) so pretty nice. and it reverts it all after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: amico81 and Fritz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.