Basic Security Gangelo's Security setup

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Hi guys.

I am new to the forum even though I have been regularly reading topics from here.

My goal is to cover a broad spectrum of protection without using any HIPS component. I have used in the past solutions like Comodo HIPS or VoodoShield but i don't like the regular interference with my work.. I like the protection to be "sublime", meaning that i don't want constant user interactions that could lead to security fatique and end up clicking the allow button just to get over with the detections.

My setup is also very lightweight, not affecting day to day usage with slowdowns (internet speeds - read/write etc), even when booting (the SSD helps though).

Looking forward to hearing your opinion and discuss possible improvements.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Syafiq, hello and thanks for the prompt reply.

It was interesting to see Appcheck which I had never heard about before. Very interesting product.. about Kaspersky Anti ransomware I am using it on my business laptop. I am a little conserned about the toll's compatibility with other 3rd party solutions (Kaspersky does not play well with Malwarebytes for instance..) and I am using a variety of them on my home desktop.

I will not change UAC to max because as I mentioned before I don't want to have constant popups. But it is a useful tool and I am not planning to disable it.

I will test Appcheck and probably replace Ransomfree with it.

Thanks again ;)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You could try CFW w/ CruelSister's config. It has HIPS disabled and minimum user interaction needed (only if you don't install too many unsigned apps).
Btw nice config, thanks for sharing it :)

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Thanks rockstarrocks, but i have decided to stay away from Comodo for various reasons.

Cruelsister's config is interesting but auto-sandboxing apps does not always play well with normal operation. Also i use unsigned apps from time to time and i don't like the no notification extreme actions.

Most important, Comodo 10 gives me BSOD from time to time... as soon as i uninstalled it i had no problems whatsoever.

But thank you for taking the time to suggest this solution.

Syafiq, thanks again for recommending AppCheck, I have it up & running on my rig. It is also very lightweight which I love.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi, I like your goal of a "sublime" security setup.
I agree with @Syafiq that cybereason is weak.
Don't count on Zemana to protect you. It does help, but it misses a lot of stuff. Malwarebytes anti-exploit is not so strong, but anyways, the best protection against exploits is to keep OS and apps as modern and updated as possible.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Hi, I like your goal of a "sublime" security setup.
I agree with @Syafiq that cybereason is weak.
Don't count on Zemana to protect you. It does help, but it misses a lot of stuff. Malwarebytes anti-exploit is not so strong, but anyways, the best protection against exploits is to keep OS and apps as modern and updated as possible.

Hi, schmu26.

I don't count on Zemana alone, but i do count on combined Zemana + Windows Defender (on windows 10 it has improved big time) + Common sense.

As for Zemana, the anti-keylogger protection is sweet though..

Hi, schmu26.

I don't count on Zemana alone, but i do count on combined Zemana + Windows Defender (on windows 10 it has improved big time) + Common sense.

As for Zemana, the anti-keylogger protection is sweet though..

And yes, everything is updated always ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
UPDATE:

1. Replaced Defender with my old time favourite Avira free (by the way any opinions about Bgpkiller for the Avira popups? These popups were the reason I stopped using Avira before)
2. Replaced Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for Business to Premium with the latest Beta
3. Removed Zemana Antilogger
4. Added Emsisoft Emergency Kit for 2nd opinion scanning
5. Added Unchecky
6. CheckMAL Appcheck is staying (thanks Syafiq)

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
UPDATE:

1. Replaced Defender with my old time favourite Avira free (by the way any opinions about Bgpkiller for the Avira popups? These popups were the reason I stopped using Avira before)
2. Replaced Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for Business to Premium with the latest Beta
3. Removed Zemana Antilogger
4. Added Emsisoft Emergency Kit for 2nd opinion scanning
5. Added Unchecky
6. CheckMAL Appcheck is staying (thanks Syafiq)

Signature-based AV isnt the core layer of your nice config. No need to use Avira which, believe me or not, is not that better than WD and is way more annoying.
Still a very strong config!

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Signature-based AV isnt the core layer of your nice config. No need to use Avira which, believe me or not, is not that better than WD and is way more annoying.
Still a very strong config!

Yeah, I was kind of having second thoughts about it. Thanks for commenting though

Reactions: brod56 and Syafiq

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Latest Config:

Replaced Windows Defender with Avast Free (Custom settings).
Binisoft Firewall control remains in Medium Filtering with Notifications ON.

Pretty happy so far and will not change anything else for the near future.
All software installed is compatible, lightweight and cover a broad spectrum of protection without overlaping each other.

Gangelo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
So, I nuked my machine and went back to Windows 8.1 Pro and tried new setup:

Kaspersky Free + Emsisoft Emergency Kit for periodic scans
Voodooshield
Binisoft WFC (Licenced - Medium filtering)
OpenDNS on the router level

Trying to keep things as simple as possible here..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.