GDATA VS Kaspersky

low L!fe

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Hello Guys
I got a subscription from Kaspersky Total Security 2021 and G Data Internet Security 2021 for a one year subscription And I'm in a lake,
what do I choose on my personal device?
Who is the best of them?
Detection rate
Ransomware
Firewall
l protection
Thank you
note i have 32GB ram

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

Most av firms that perform an analysis of the streaming traffic in real time when surfing via browsers will suffer a cut in the speed...

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021

Most av firms that perform an analysis of the streaming traffic in real time when surfing via browsers will suffer a cut in the speed...
But why the big cut with Kaspersky and not with f-secure and Norton? I tested with different servers, and the result was the same, Kaspersky did bad compare to both f-secure and Norton even if Norton not did as good as f-secure. I cannot speak for other VPN users, only PIA, but when f-secure almost give me the same speed with VPN as without, it is very good. I use WireGuard.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
But why the big cut with Kaspersky and not with f-secure and Norton? I tested with different servers, and the result was the same, Kaspersky did bad compare to both f-secure and Norton even if Norton not did as good as f-secure. I cannot speak for other VPN users, only PIA, but when f-secure almost give me the same speed with VPN as without, it is very good. I use WireGuard.
Avast also has an explanation for slow internet speed here:
Troubleshooting connection speed issues with Web Shield in Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support
So looks like any AV that thoroughly scans your internet traffic is going to have some impact. As you can see in the above link, disabling HTTPS scanning could improve performance according to Avast. Kaspersky also has HTTPS scanning, Norton has its IPS.
F-Secure on the other hand can only scan HTTP content outside of the browser and the browser extension helps it to scan HTTPS site on the browser, but it can't scan contents like malicious scripts loaded by the site because that requires the HTTPS scanning function which also reduce speed.
It's probably possible for all products to make further improvements, but it's complicated, as said by one of the Kaspersky personal in the link shared by Harlan.
With Microsoft Defender, you'll probably get the best internet speed.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Avast also has an explanation for slow internet speed here:
Troubleshooting connection speed issues with Web Shield in Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support
So looks like any AV that thoroughly scans your internet traffic is going to have some impact. As you can see in the above link, disabling HTTPS scanning could improve performance according to Avast. Kaspersky also has HTTPS scanning, Norton has its IPS.
F-Secure on the other hand can only scan HTTP content outside of the browser and the browser extension helps it to scan HTTPS site on the browser, but it can't scan contents like malicious scripts loaded by the site because that requires the HTTPS scanning function which also reduce speed.
It's probably possible for all products to make further improvements, but it's complicated, as said by one of the Kaspersky personal in the link shared by Harlan.
With Microsoft Defender, you'll probably get the best internet speed.
I tested again Kaspersky with and without PIA VPN, and I can't excuse Kaspersky at all. The number speak for itself:

Attachments

• Kaspersky without VPN.png
    Kaspersky without VPN.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Kaspersky with PIA VPN on.png
    Kaspersky with PIA VPN on.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 160

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Reactions: Sorrento

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019
Is your PIA running with Open VPN or WireGuard?
I generally use WireGuard. I tried the speed with openvpn too but there are no big changes. The pia vpn speed test in WD is slightly higher than with Kaspersky but the proof of the facts, i.e. when you try to download a large file, the download speed is the same whether you are using kaspersky or WD.
I have been a PIA customer for over 5 years. I also bought dedicated IP and tested the speed with this set but it doesn't help.
Despite everything, I have always preferred PIA to other VPNs because in simple web browsing, streaming and P2P it performs better. The application has also always been very accurate.

Last edited:

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I generally use WireGuard. I tried the speed with openvpn too but there are no big changes. The pia vpn speed test in WD is slightly higher than with Kaspersky but the proof of the facts, i.e. when you try to download a large file, the download speed is the same whether you are using kaspersky or WD.
I have been a PIA customer for over 5 years. I also bought dedicated IP and tested the speed with this set but it doesn't help.
Despite everything, I have always preferred PIA to other VPNs because in simple web browsing, streaming and P2P it performs better. The application has also always been very accurate.
It is a big difference between OpenVPN and WireGuard here.

Attachments

• With OpenVPN.png
    With OpenVPN.png
    29 KB · Views: 137
  • With WireGuard.png
    With WireGuard.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 139

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.