Guide | How To Get Windows 7 Updates from Microsoft without an Antivirus

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Via Source: Microsoft Blocks All Windows 7 Security Updates Unless You Have Antivirus | How-To-Geek

Microsoft is now withholding security updates from Windows 7 users who don’t have an antivirus installed. There’s a way around this limitation, but you have to manually set a registry key.

Microsoft noticed that many antivirus applications were incompatible with the update and caused blue screen errors.
To prevent Windows systems from becoming unstable, Microsoft decided to withhold this security patch from all Windows systems by default. Microsoft told antivirus companies that they had to set a registry key that flags their antivirus as compatible with the update. If the key is present, the patch will install. If the key isn’t, the patch won’t install.
How to Set the Registry Key on Windows 7

You need to open the Registry Editor, and head to the following location (note that if the QualtyCompat key isn’t already present, you’ll need to create it inside the CurrentVersion key):
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat
Right-click the QualityCompat key, choose New > DWORD (32-Bit) Value, and then give that new value the following name:
Code:
cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc
Leave the value set to its default:
Code:
0x00000000
You can now close Registry Editor.

upload_2018-3-16_18-9-53.png

It is strongly recommended that you install an Antivirus for Windows 7, at least try Microsoft Security Essentials or upgrade to Windows 10.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I have installed window 7 on my laptop and it works perfectly but I want to know that Is it possible to run the Microsoft defender antivirus on window 7? Because I got a mail by hotmail customer service regarding Microsoft defender antivirus so if you have any idea then, please confirm me.
You can run Microsoft Security Essentials which is essentially a stripped back version of Windows Defender that's available on Windows 10, although there's very little reason to do so as the biggest alleged benefit of Defender doesn't apply to Security Essentials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Syafiq and Azure

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.