Gex.The.Nazgul's config

Gex.The.Nazgul

Thread author
Jul 26, 2011
not install a firewall could i need a one :dodgy: or any program like sandboxie or anything i am not expert in security plz tell me what to do :(

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
RE: Simple config need your opinion

What do you mean by "or Norton Internet Security?" you have both ESET and NIS installed or is NIS on another computer?
I suggest you install Web of Trust from here for safe browsing, and EMET from here for hardening. I don't think you need a firewall since both ESS and NIS have one built-in. There's also what Jack would suggest... LastPass, a great password manager and VTUploader for scanning files online easily on VirusTotal.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection:
Are you using ESET OR NIS OR MBAM as real-time protection?

Additional browser protection:
endejan suggested a few good add-ons that you can add to your security config : LastPass and WOT.

Other add-ons that you might want to try :

Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

Extra protection :

endejan already mentioned EMET, which provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

I would also like to mention one very important layer of protection : Virtualization.
It's very important that you understand how it works and how to use a virtualization software because this type of program can dramatically increase your overall protection.

Virtualization:

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
More details - link

OR

BufferZone Pro (Free) - link
BufferZone creates an isolated environment called the Virtual Zone. The Virtual Zone "buffers" your PC from all forms of known or unknown attacks that originate from the Internet and external devices. All of your private information is secured in a trusted and separated environment.
More details - link

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well your an advance user however your level of risk is medium. So for my suggestion NIS will good for you since it have great performance and light in the system.

Gex.The.Nazgul

Thread author
Jul 26, 2011
i mean i own Eset smart Security and Norton internet security too But now i installed Eset

thnx jack for your advice i will try a Virtualization apps

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.