Ghacks.net website delivering malware via fake browser update messages

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
I didn't get a redirect here, but at some point the site went down and now the latest posts are gone:

Screenshot_2023-09-22.png

I don't visit the site that much any more, because the comment database is broken for a long time now (old unrelated comments appearing above the new ones).

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I was a bit let down that there wasn't even a peep from F-Secure that I have installed on another PC. I just have its browser protection enabled and uBlock, so there was nothing to conflict with it as far as I know.

Is part of the malware, the image that doesn't display in the left corner of the install Chrome update page? When I opened it in a new link, I got the 2nd image information.
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG4.JPG

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Notification of security issue - gHacks Tech News
Earlier today, we noticed a security issue on the site that showed a malicious intermediary page to visitors. This page asked visitors to update their browser to continue viewing the content.

There may have been different messages, depending on the web browser used. Firefox users, for instance, may have seen a “you need to update your browser to view the content” notification and an “update Firefox” button on the page.

We reacted quickly to the security issue and have resolved it. The investigation is still ongoing and we are still in the process of validating the site’s databases and content.

We would like to ask anyone who interacted with the malicious content to scan their systems with up to date antivirus software. Some options include Bitdefender Antivirus Free, Avast Free Antivirus or the built-in Microsoft Defender on Windows.

We will share additional information on the issue once we have completed the investigation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.