Battle Glasswire vs Comodo Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Makarboy

Thread author
What do you think that is the best firewall?
Take into account protection, system stability/impact, compatibility with antivirus...etc

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Depends on your preferences and knowledge of what to block and what to allow.

Protections: Comodo, because it has in built HIPS and Sandboxing on top of the firewall, it is also one of the best firewalls. Glasswire and Windows firewall come in second.
System stability: Windows firewall, simply put it this way, it's shipped with your computer and has to be the most stable out of the 3 options. I personally find comodo product to be slightly buggy but that's just me.
Impact on system: Windows firewall, again because it is the most basic and does not have any UI it will take the least resources. Comodo firewall delays start up time significantly when I used it, you can try for yourself to see. Glasswire uses a lot of Ram 200-300mb, personally I use it and it seems fine to me
Compatibility with antivirus: windows firewall/glasswire, because they are only firewalls and do not have HIPS or sandboxing, they will work best with any AV.
Personally I am using both of them because glasswire is not really a firewall but rather a tool to enforce your current firewall, it has a really nice UI and provides a lot of information that your firewall does not give. At the same time I am using Windows firewall which would ask if I want to allow the outbound traffic or not before letting it connect, whereas glasswire automatically allows the application to reach the net and you have to go into glasswire and click to block it from accessing the internet.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Comodo Firewall for such complexity of setup because its considered as third party program meanwhile Glasswire is a combination of manual firewall and integrated to help Windows Firewall capabilities; can be a network monitoring tool too but the difficulty to setup should not be complicated.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Invalid question since GlassWire uses Windows Firewall. GlassWire is a HIDS with a WF UI.

I wouldn't trust security to a continuously buggy product, so that rules out Comodo. Additionally, it's UI leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone who thinks any other firewall is "better" than WF doesn't know how to configure WF.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Invalid question...

@Rolo

I do not mean to offend you, but there are no invalid questions here at MT.

Due to the sheer number of softs - and all their complexity - most people do not know all the pertinent details... so they need help. Plus, there is a wide-range of expertise amongst MT members - from the first-time novice to the super-super user to the true IT security expert.

You just helped in your post by explaining what GlassWire actually is - and by relating your personal experiences with Comodo (there's no denying it - Comodo products are buggy\quirky).

All this type of open discussion is invaluable... and in some cases saves some users a whole lot of frustration, disappointment and aggravation.

Did you mean invalid comparison (between GW and CFW); not comparing "apples-to-apples"?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
WF gives you alerts if the process is unknown , even you can tweak it to the core so nothing can go out unless you create a rule for it.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
WF gives you alerts if the process is unknown , even you can tweak it to the core so nothing can go out unless you create a rule for it.

I agree... but it is a pain to create each rule individually using the interface.

Some people don't like it, but I use BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I agree... but it is a pain to create each rule individually using the interface.

Some people don't like it, but I use BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control.
i admit it is a pain, but this the absolute lockdown mode of WF :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.