Gmail Becomes World's Top Email Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Google's Gmail has overtaken Hotmail as the world's most-used email service, according to website traffic tracker ComScore.

Data released by ComScore confirmed that Gmail experienced 287.9 million unique worldwide visitors last month, while Microsoft's Hotmail received 286.2 million unique visitors during the period. Following Hotmail in third place was Yahoo, boasting 281.7 million unique visitors, according to ComScore.

Source

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Love Gmail. Have it as well as the other main email websites, but just feels like it's better to navigate compared to the others.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
I have them both as well, but i personally to find gmail better, just as McLovin said it's better to navigate and it's so much faster then hotmail.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I've had an Hotmail account for 12 years now. Never had a Gmail account!

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
gmail did revolutionize the web email segment. i remember i was using hotmail since 1998,at it had 5 mb of space for on-line storage,thats why email clients were popular in those days. and then came gmail in 2004 got an invitation for it and it had 1gb of space,could not believe it when i first saw it and the best thing it was absolutely free!
and then the entire industry changed everyone increased the storage of emails and as they say rest is history!

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Syntax said:
What's the difference between hotmail account and outlook account?

I don't think there is a difference. "Outlook" is an email client like Mozilla's thunderbird, etc. You can use it to login multiple account under 1 roof so it's easier to acccess when you have multiple emails instead of going to respective sites of the provider and loggin in all the time(eg. hotmail, yahoo, gmail,etc)

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
mercurial said:
Syntax said:

I don't think there is a difference. "Outlook" is an email client like Mozilla's thunderbird, etc. You can use it to login multiple account under 1 roof so it's easier to acccess when you have multiple emails instead of going to respective sites of the provider and loggin in all the time(eg. hotmail, yahoo, gmail,etc)

mercurial, Microsoft launched outlook.com which will replace the site hotmail.com when it is ready. Outlook is now both an application and a website. Outlook.com holds the Windows 8 theme and is the same as hotmail. Syntax is talking about the website not the application.

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
mercurial said:
Syntax said:

That's right, there is no difference. Outlook you can use for any email, meaning instead of accessing the internet like mercurial said you can just use Outlook. :)

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
mercurial, Microsoft launched outlook.com which will replace the site hotmail.com when it is ready. Outlook is now both an application and a website. Outlook.com holds the Windows 8 theme and is the same as hotmail. Syntax is talking about the website not the application.

My God they have gone insane!!! lol...Still it's the same thing with a different name that's all

What is a Microsoft account? "Microsoft account" is the new name for what used to be called a "Windows Live ID." Your Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and a password that you use to sign in to services like Hotmail, Messenger, SkyDrive, Windows Phone, Xbox LIVE, or Outlook.com.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I love gmail and my 10 gmail accounts!!! I like my 2 yahoo accounts too

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Since 2005 I've used gmail mostly, aol also but they suck anymore...I have probably around 35 gmail accounts and counting!

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
mercurial said:
Malware Maniac said:

My God they have gone insane!!! lol...Still it's the same thing with a different name that's all.

Practically but like I said Outlook.com hold the Windows 8 theme (changed the name which was previously Metro before the lawsuit threat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.